Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, twice now I have come accross adds in the for sale's that list a '70 LS6, both have a bench, one has a column shifter, and one has no cowl hood, are these both fakes or is this actually possible?

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes these cars can be real.Having no cowl,a column snifter and bench seat was very possible in a LS6 Chevelle.I seen the same set up even without gauges.I wouldn't lay the green down for such a unpopular combo!Just my 2 cents

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Chris,

Yes it is possible, I came across a documented LS6 bench column SS a while back. Also if you have ever wacthed the American Muscle Car show on Speed Vision I recall there was an LS6 Bench seat and column shift SS on the show. I have it on tape, will have to watch again and see. As far as the cowl hood I beleive always an option on the SS so not real sure.

Rich

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not only is it possible, but in my 2-year search for an LS-6 I find it is prevalent. I think the cherished 4-speed LS-6 cars are more likely to be A) wrapped around telephone poles, or B) hoarded by collectors who will not part with them.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just my opion, but I like to see the less optioned cars. The basic "price leader car" that got them into the showrooms to buy the expensive ones. It is not the case but I think the cars that have no options except for the SS option and the base Malibue packkage or 300 package should be worth more money. You just don't see them and when someone builds a lookalike,copy, or bogus car most always build a car with all the goodies or at least some options. I also think this because I own a 69 SS396 "price leader" car and it should in the eyes of collecting be worth just as much as the other and not have dedutions for being less optioned. That sucks!!

------------------
Gold Member #164
http://sites.netscape.net/1969ss/homepage

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I think theres a lot of LS6 cars built like that. I have one, my friend 20 miles from me has one...and the thing about our two cars...they both have CLOTH interior. (SS cars were supposed to have all Vinyl interior) I'm restoring an LS5 car for another friend...same way. Bench, column, no cowl or gauges.
The list price for my car is $3918.90.
I guess if you wanted to go fast for $4000, that's what you ordered. I would bet that alot of LS6 cars went straight to the track. Why order alot of gimmicks when you were going to put on a snorkel hood, Hurst or B&M shifter, etc...
Those fancy options add up...Cowl hood...$147.45...Gauges...84.30...Bucket seats...$105.35...Console...$55.35...Power steering...$105.35...etc...
Wouldn't take long to get to $5000, which was a chunk of change for a car in 1970.
I also think the 4-speed cars are harder to find with the original engine. Missed gears and the ability to wind it past the point a T-400 would shift out of low by itself led to alot of blocks being ventilated. I see a lot of CE blocks in 4-speed cars advertised.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a friend here with a black LS6- no stripes, rased hood but not CI, bench, and column TH400. It is the real deal complete with build sheet. Some folks think it's just a plain-jane, but how plain is any LS6 car?

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I suspect many LS6s were stripped-down-go-fast. Manual steering was occasionally seen, and white-stripe tires (F70-14) on SS wheels were possible. You could get the car in the snooziest colour combos available too! (Boo!) I wonder if there wasn't an LS6 convertible with a manual convertible top. Convertibles were factored differently in NHRA, and a manual top would save weight, $s & time (e.t.).

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 08-10-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to Chevrolet the SS package include what they call a special hood with raised center,front disc brakes, no air conditionong for the LS6, 61 amp alternator,etc... Yes chevrolet says you can have column shift as standard equipment with the LS6 and automatic w/posi 3.31 or 4.10. What they do say is the 454 was available for the sport coupe, convertible and pickup. What they don't say is if the engine (LS6)was available only for the SS package.

TH

·
Registered
8 Posts
c`mon guys think about this column shift thing for a minute. if aperson ordered car with a bench seat, auto trans, the shifter went on the column (no choices here)

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
As far as an LS6 convertible with a manual top, there's one pictured on p. 109 of Anthony Young's "Muscle Car Color History: Chevrolet Big Block." Great photos in this book.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Stopped in Dothan, AL, on the way to Florida to checkout a place that restores and sells classic muscle cars. Out back was an orange 70, black stripes, no cowl induction, bench, auto on column. Interior was trashed, popped the hood and the thing had the low rise AL intake, emblems say 454. I almost fell over. The carb was an ancient Holley and the heat shield was still under it. I figure it must be one of the real ones. Gonna need a lot of work, but that guy will make it back and then some.

By the way, he also had 3 SS 67s, (one of which was a convertible), a nice 69SS, a 69 Yenko Camaro, some vettes, an early GTO all outside, another 67SS, a convertible 70SS, and some other cars in the shop being worked on. He must have 10 people working on cars in various stages. Quite the operation. As you might guess, the prices are high, mid twenties for any of the 67s. Still nice to see that much iron in one spot.
John Walker

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There was a guy when I first moved into the neighborhood back in 1984 that had an original LS-6 sitting next to the curb on the street. Forest Green with no cowl-induction but had the domed hood with no pins. It had an Idiot light dash and a 4-speed with 4.10 gears. It sat there for 8 more years and the salt truck driving by in the winter would throw salt all over it. It had a surface rust spot in the middle of the quarter panel about 2ft in diameter. The green bucket seat interior with no console was mint. The original motor sat in his garage covered in plastic since 71. He put a 427 in it because he did not think the 454 ran as good. He finally sold the car and engine for 11,500.oo 6 months ago. My father had a 1969 396 375hp Chevelle ss with a column shifter, idiot lights, bench seat, AM radio, 3.31 posi. All those options added more to the cost of that car back then. Moving from 3800.oo to 5,000.oo by adding options back then is like going from 16,000 to 25,000 now.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.