Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new dash on order and I figure while I have it apart, why not replace the butchered, hacked and decaying wire harness. Make sense? Of course it does. Carefull this is a trick question.

I've assembled a "tach" cluster with a spare unit (housing, lens, etc.) which gives me two complete guage sets, the original with idiot lights(per my buildsheet) and one that's cooler and better(well at least that's what I think anyway). There are two types of harnesses available, one for idiot lights, one for guages.

If they're not the same, does that mean that the sending units must be changed as well? Or is it simply because the location of the guages is different from the idiot lights (more likely reason)?

From what I can tell, there is no matching engine compartment harness. This seems to be based on Transmission instead.

Thanks

Francis

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The dash harness for the gauge option has additional wires for the amp gauge in addition to the wires in the cluster connector are in different locations (compared to the light dash). The forward lamp harness has wiring for the amp gauge also. The tach wire is separate, passes through the firewall all by it’s self. The water temp sender is different for the gauge dash.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ride. How much did you lower it?

So, if I go with the "tach" harness I'm covered either way? Or did I mis-understand?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The forward lamp harness for the gauge option has wires for the amp gauge. Your forward lamp harness doesn’t. If money is no problem you should replace both engine compartment harnesses and the dash harness. If money is a problem replace the engine compartment harnesses and modify/repair the dash harness. Typically the dash harness is in much better condition than the engine and forward lamp harnesses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts