Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a not-so-Painless 18 circuit Muscle car kit on my 70 el camino with SS guages. The printed circuit board plug/connector is NOT supplied by Painless, and they suggest I reuse my existing plug/connector and simply transefer the wires via color code matching.

The problems are: 1)Painless supplies 10 wires, there are 12 wires in the original connectors--all full. 2) The colors don't match (so it's not as simple as matching position color-for-color as they suggest. There are colors in "old" harness that aren 't even close to the ones supplied by Painless (e.g: Black with white stripe), and 3) while painless labels each of their wires as to their termination point, my 70 wiring diagram doesn't include where each wire is for in each position. I can't possible "read" the printed circut on the back of the fuse panel to figure this out.

So, considering the guage adapter has 12 holes, for each wire--well marked 1-12--does anyone either a) know what each of the holes on the guage connector is for (where it terminates on the guage cluster), or B) know which of the wires on a "Painless" harness (by color or function) goes to which holes in the harness (1-12)? HELP!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
This is a 70-72 full gauge cluster connector pinout. The no change or change instructions are for converting the connector from a light dash to gauge dash, just ignore that part.

The painless harness is not configured to accommodate the factory amp gauge. One alternative is to convert the amp gauge to a volt gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts