Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 70 SS without gauges and then purchased an original gauge cluster (on its way to me by UPS.) I currently have a 70 SS El Camino with gauges so I know I can remove the dash pad and look at the set up but has anyone out there converted their car and is it as easy as I hope? The cluster I bought does not the wiring for the tach which I have to find (haven't checked catalogs yet) and will the existing amp, oil, fuel, and temp wiring hookup to the gauge cluster and work OK? If this has been a subject on Chevelle tech and someone remembers when I would appreciate it.

Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
About 1 month ago, i did the same conversion. Go to the search section and plug in cluster. Someone has a fantastic link for the wiring conversion you'll need to do to convert your cluster. I got the packard elect terminals and followed it to a "t". It will be necessary to run wiring for the tach and your amp meter. I think it was actually easier to convert the wiring as opposed to replacing the entire harness and fuse box. You do have to move a bunch of the wires around in the connector at the back of the cluster.

Good luck-e mail me if you need further help

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, just after I posted the note I continued to search and found the article you spoke of by Jim Endrud and Michael. I have emailed both of them and they have both responded already. Sounds like it won't be too much trouble. I probably will contact you when I start after the 1st of the year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
David in GA,

I also just completed the harness conversion, but only after I found the wiring ends that go into the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) connector. I couldn't find them or a spare harness, so I emailed Jim Endrud (the auther of the coolest website!) and he sent me two of them for free! What a nice guy, thanks again Jim! Anyway, you mentioned that you bought the "packard connectors"??? are those the PCB wiring ends? And if they are, where can you buy them?

[This message has been edited by Hugh (edited 12-13-99).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chuck
i did the same thing to my chevelle but mine was a malibu i bought the gauges and installed them in mine the only thing that i rember doing is i hadto trace the wireing through the harnness to make sure that it had all the right wires on them and the only thing i really had to do is to locate the tach, wire at the outside plug on the fire wall to hook up the tach Scott/jax.fl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.