Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP, somebody please, I have tried all I know to do, my 70 has several wiring problems that I think are a result of poor grounding, I have tried every thing, here is as list of problems. no dash lights, when the key is off and the light switch is turned on the clock stops but the left blinker will blink, when the key is on and the light switch is pulled the blinkers stop,both tail lights blink when the left blinker is turned on and both side marker lights blink but neither rear lights come on when right blinker is turned on

·
Registered
676 Posts
have 70 also, not as bad as problems as you but decided to replace all wiring in front from firewall up, 225.00

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like 2 problems. I'd work on them one at a time.
The problem with the running lights/turn signals sounds like a lost ground to one or more of the outside bulbs. Think I would start with the rear.
Have you verified, with a meter, that there is 12 volts to the outside light bulbs? You should have 12 volts to both the left and right bulb brown wire when you pull the headlight switch on. Measure these wires with the light bulb removed. First measure them to a clean chassis ground and then try measuring them to the metal bulb socket. If both of the browns look ok, the measure the green and yellow the same way after turning on the turn signal (key on). This voltage will swing around if it is blinking. Most of the time removing the bulb will stop the blinking so the voltage stays on.
Might be able to spot the problem if you get that far. If not post back.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Almost sounds like either a battery going bad or a faulty head light switch that is drawing too much juice. I would also lay money that there is a bad ground some place. It seems like all of your problems happen when you do something with your headlight switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I haven't checked the voltage at the bulbs, I will give that a try and see what I find

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found the problem with my turn signals and brake lights, (dead short in the tail lights) but still have some problems, first of all after removing the dash to replace the speedo and clock I don't have any dash lights, all guages work but no lights, also the both turn signal indicators stay on. I have put in a new light switch but no luck, any ideas?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Lost one of the grounds from the dash but not sure where it is on a 70. Think around the e-brake pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have three ground wires under the dash that are not hooked up, can't tell any difference when they are grounded, I can't find any grounds near the parking brake.

·
Premium Member
16,708 Posts
There is a small screw on the side of the parking brake mechanism. You can put them there. If you can't find any other place to put them, you could always drill a very small hole in the side of the body behind the dash and ground them there via a sheetmetal screw. Just make sure you ground it to the body.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When you replaced the headlight switch did it have a metal ring on the back? If not this is your problem. You should have a metal ring on headlight switch that continues down to the wiper switch then to the metal dash frame. This is one piece of metal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only metal around the switch is as small piece mounted to the back of the plastic dash, nothing that connects it to the wiper switch ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the photo of the headlight and wiper switch grounding, after putting it in place I still have no dash lights or front parking lights, everything else works fine, any ideas?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You have the front running lights out (not working) but the rear running lights are working?
Can you confirm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes all tail lights & side marker lights burn when the headlight switch is pulled, only the front parking lights don't. The interior light comes on when the doors open but not with the turn of the headlight switch. It is new headlight switch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
have you looked at printed circuit in back of the dashboard? idk jsut a thought i had to put some jumpers in on mine where it had cracked
pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have power to the parking lights-the blinkers and flashers work fine, if it was a short in the circuit board would these work?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Did you check the grounds on the rad support? One near the battery and one on voltage reg. They're for the front lights. As John Muha said it still sounds like two problems. The dash lights sound like wiring or ground to the new headlight switch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts