I have had people tell me my air cleaner is an repro.I've heard the original ones had 2small dimples at the end of the snorkle.Could someone with an original help me determine which one I have on my car.Thanks in advance for any info.
I have several original air cleaners for cowl ind. I do not see any dimples at the end of the snorkle, I think how ever their is a difference in the end that attaches to the air cleaner its self, on the ones I have their is a bulge on the end of the snorkle on both sides about an inch from were it attaches to the air cleaner, I think the repos are strait all the way back to the air cleaner
Yes the original CI air cleaners have small bulges on both sides where the snorkle meets the main housing.Also the bottom of the air cleaner shoud be either smooth or have a light indentention on the bottom.If it has a pronounced groove where the air filter would sit then it is a repro or latter NOS but not original.
I have a Repro in front of me and a Original off of a 1970 Chevelle.
The two together really show the following differences.
1) Original early has either a smooth bottom or later a channeled bottom base.Repro has the channeled as well,but is less defined.
2) Original has a metal tube almost at a 90 degree angle on the bottom for the Crank case hose to attach.Repro has this tube,but at a sloping angle,no corners in it at all.
3) Repro has the letters C H Q stamped into bottom base where snorkel is.Original does not.
4) Originals snorkel has a Small 1/2" gap in the side seam of it.Repro has this seam,but no gap at all,it is a straight line.
5) Where the Originals snorkel meets the housing,it has a very pronounced bulging crimp on both sides.The Repro has a very smooth crimp.Almost tapered.
6) When you look at the underneath of the Original,it has wrinkles in the metal where ever it curves up and around.The Repro is all continously smooth in these areas.
7) Even the Dented area where your Distributor sits is Full of ripple lines on the Original.The Repro shows very few of these lines.
This is what I have found.There maybe more differences as well.Prices on E-bay reflect that some wll pay more for these differences.
There is also two different designs for the Cowl Induction hood.But that is another topic.
A forum community dedicated to Chevrolet Chevelle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about restorations, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!