Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an NOS clock for a chevelle. I have been told that a 70 clock has green arms and 71 has red? Anybody else ever hear of this; I thought all chevelle, (70-72) clocks had red arms?!
thanks
dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
i just bought a tach & gauge cluster yesterday for my 70 ss. it has the orig clock dated 9/69. it has red arms.

i think you might be confusing the numbering which was faint green on 70 models while 71-72 models any instrument lettering was white.

i am going to ship my clock to "the tach man" in south carolina tomorrow for quartz conversion before i install the cluster in the vehicle.

check out his sight at www.tachman.com-it's really cool!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I haven't heard of this before, but if this helps, both my 72 Chevelle and MonteCarlo have red hands on the clocks, I have 2 other instrument clusters from 71 MonteCarlos both with red hands.

Jeff

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dave,
Let us all know how you make out with the quartz conversion.
I need to do something with my clock before I put my dash back in the car.

Jeff L.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Well the hands should be "red" (actually a flourescent orange type of color). They were the same for all years I believe (to match the pointers of the same colors in the dash instruments and radios etc.)

And yes, 1970 components have light green lettering/numbering, 1971-1972 units have white lettering/numbering.

·
Registered
115 Posts
David In GA,

that site is what I have been looking for! How did you ever find that! I picked up a small block '70 tack 5000 redline a while ago and I was going to put it into my non guages '70 LS5, but I was really hoping to put the correct 6000 redline tach into the car. Now I have a source to have it converted! I am going to email him for an estimate. I also want my clock switched over to quartz. If anyone has dealt with "The tachman" , please let us know how it went and what type of quality (original) to expect.
http://www.tachman.com/

·
Registered
97 Posts
today i ups'd my clock to d and d restorations in greenville , s.c. i called mike at d & d and the tachman, both the same price but sounded like i'd get faster turnaround time from d&d. they'll convert the clock to quartz and ship it back for about $135.

they will bench test it for several days to make sure it maintains the correct time before they ship it back.

i'll let yall know how well it turns out later.

this co. also does refacings and tach work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.