Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer with a 70 Chevelle, non-ac, with the SS style dash. He wants to add factory air. I have a factory ac system from a base model 70 Chevelle. We want to know if he will need to make any changes of modifications to his dash to make this work. I know standard (sweep speedo) dashes are different between ac and non-ac cars, but I don't know about SS dashes. Are ac and non ac SS dashes the same?
Also, will he have to make any modifications to the firewall?
Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
Trevor
69 ElCamino SS 396/400
69 ElCamino 350/350
Auto Obsession

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
The dashes are the same. All you have to do is to remove the block off plate above the heater controls so as to mount the center vents. You need to get the duct work from a Chevelle with a SS dash or out of a Monte Carlo. You will have to cut the fire wall and weld up the heater box hole. Also you have to do something with the vents coming from the cowl area. This is not an impossible task but when I did one I had the parts donor car there to get all the measurements and needed parts off of. If you have any other questions E-mail me and I will try and answer your questions.

Nate

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
Team Chevelle # 1143

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Nate.
Do you, or anyone else, know if the ducting from a standard dash will work behind an SS dash?

------------------
Trevor
69 ElCamino SS 396/400
69 ElCamino 350/350
Auto Obsession

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
you'll also have to change the kick panels, and the vents if you'r wanting it to look factory, if not then just buy a vintage-air or old-air set-up, ezier to install and look factory, no cutting the firewall either and a smaller box under the hood

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.