Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has been thinking selling his low mile '80 Vette and purchasing a Chevelle. He has asked my opinion on the Chevelle described below. I copied the add word for word but left off the price. I hope this is OK in this section.

1970Chevelle
"454 Black Cherry 8cyl, Real SS454, I have the original Protect O Plate, Original rare color, Has LS6 cylinder heads, new paint, and new interior, Too much work in car to list here, please only inquire if you are serious."

There is one front 1/4 photo. I copied it from the add but I am not sure if it is OK to paste it here. Car has domed hood, SS badges & black SS stripes, clear front marker lenses. The wheels are aftermarket & there is what appears to be a large tach on top of the dash. I am assuming this is an SS clone or maybe a SS396 with NOM. Is there enough info on the protecto plate to authenticate an SS and/or 454? Assuming it is a clone in decent shape (no rust, looks good @ 20' and a driver) any opinions on price? He needs to justify the trip (2+ hrs) to look at it. This would be the 1st Chevelle he looked at. I can post price & picture if it is OK with this site. Thanks in advance, Kurt

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
posting a pic is not only OK but encouraged!
IMO any 70-72 BB 'Velle that runs & drives is worth 15,000+.
add $$ for being a '70
add $$ for being in good shape
add $$ for being a true SS

·
Gold Founding Member
64,281 Posts
35K would have been last years price.
It looks like a nice street/cruise night car...not a showcar.
Ya' really think they've dropped THAT much? (from 35K to 18-20K)
Maybe so:confused:

What do you see in that picture that says "not a show car"

it says;
"Real SS454, I have the original Protect O Plate, Original rare color, Has LS6 cylinder heads, new paint, and new interior, Too much work in car to list here"

·
Premium Member
28,755 Posts
Dean,when I think of showcar,I think of something quality along the lines of Nick Lewis' work,Bill Rose or Albert..Mike (704EVER) as well.
Last year,you could have asked 35K and someone might have paid that..even though it was overpriced. This year...no way.
As I said,I'm sure its a nice car,but not 35K nice.
It says new paint..how nice is the paint? How does it look under the hood?
Is it factory stuff or a cobbled up combo of speed parts and mismatched BBC components?
I was at a swap meet this past weekend and saw some incredibly overpriced cars that where not selling..example: a 71 Chevelle that had not one good body panel,wearing primer and had a 454 with a 3" exhaust..those where about the only "wow" factor parts on the car..seller wanted 11K and change. Not very realistic..it was more like a 5K car. Now,for a mere $ 1500 more you could have a frame off restored 71 Cutlass with a 455 ;)
I could cite about two dozen more examples,but I don't want to type that much :D
Seems like people have last years "Barret Jacksonitis" when it comes to pricing.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Just for comparison,I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago for 13,700. It's a clone with a well done small block. The wheels are completely new, C.I. functional, new seats, tach and guages, P.S., front disks, new exhaust and a good solid Texas body. It needs a BB, 12 bolt posi and some good underhood detailing to be a real nice car.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Just for comparison,I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago for 13,700. It's a clone with a well done small block. The wheels are completely new, C.I. functional, new seats, tach and guages, P.S., front disks, new exhaust and a good solid Texas body. It needs a BB, 12 bolt posi and some good underhood detailing to be a real nice car.

That's a phenomenal deal, congratulations! :eek::beers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts