Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 SS396. Can anyone help me with these questions?

1. Is the spare tire supposed to have a cover in the trunk? If so, what color?

2. Are the gas, brake and e-brake pedals supposed to have the chrome trim on them?

3. What tires are original equipment, i.e. brand, size and lettering?

4. My car is completely missing the horn. What is it supposed to have under the hood? One or two horns? High tone or low?

Thanks in advance

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
No cover- depends on option groups-F70-14 white wall or white letters-2 chevelle horns I believe this information to b correct, but just to b sure second opinion will appear Im sure,,, Good Luck L89SEDAN

·
Registered
368 Posts
You're safe on tire brands if you go with Firestone or Goodyear for 70 aspect ratio.
In the 70's, GM bought tires from:
Uniroyal - 40%
Goodyear - 20%
Firestone - 20%
General - 10%
BF Goodrich - 10%
Most assembly plants used two suppliers, Uniroyal and one other. Some suppliers did not make all sizes, sidewall treatments, etc.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 06-17-99).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

I have a 70 SS 396 that was built in the Arlington, Texas plant.

The tires that came on it where F70-14 Firestones with raised white letters that said "Firestone" and "Wide O Val", I still have the original spare tire. You can check www.coker.com, they have reproductions.

I purchased the car when it was six years old and it did not have the chrome trim on any of the foot pedals. Unless the trim fell off, unlikely because the care was fairly well kept, I do not believe that they came on the car.

The car should have a high and a low tone horn mounted on the hood catch assembly. You should see two mounting holes next to the hole on the catch assembly.

As for a spare tire cover I do not know. However my SS did have a factory trunk mat. That is long gone and all I remember is that it was cloth in appearance and that it looked like the green in the trunk spatter paint.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
For tires, most build sheets have, on the far right side, a line in the options area that reads....FRS/UNI/GDY
This, to me, means the car got either Firestone Wide Ovals, Uniroyal Tiger Paws, or Goodyear Polyglas tires
The standard SS tire was F70-14, white letters. However, you could order white walls (yeechhh)
The cars got whatever tire was on the SS rims when they came down the line at the assembly plants. You couldn't specify which brand of tire you wanted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the excellent information. I greatly appreciate it as a new chevelle owner.

------------------
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.