Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a lead on a radio. I'm talking to someone about an AM/FM pushbutton radio. He answered my "Wanted" ad on this site. He says that it came out of a 70 (Malibu?).

Is there anything that I should be looking for or asking him to help identify this radio? Buttons are black, but were they on the top or the bottom? Where was the sliding AM/FM lever positioned? Was it black or chrome plastic? How can a Stereo unit be identified? Are there any brackets that I need?

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,942 Posts
I think the 69 an 70's are the same.

Here is a picture of mine, I just now went out in the garage and shot it in the dark.
It is not stereo, just am-fm.
I think the 69 & 70 stereo radios are two piece units.

How about it coppertop ?
macc.chevelles.net/images/69radio.jpg

------------------
Dean Call
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

sorry, I couldn't get a shot of the bracket on the back.

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 02-02-99).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DEAN!

Thanks! This is perfect. I can have the guy reference this shot for comparisons. You ROCK!

Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I'm here.
Sorry Michael, didn't see this post till now.

Here's the scope. Visually (what it looks like in the dash) the 1969 am/fm mono and 1970 am/fm mono radios are the same.

HOWEVER, in 1969 the am/fm mono radio has a special plug for the multiplex adapter (stereo control box mounted below the dash). A 1969 am/fm mono MUST have the "jumper" plug connected to this special plug to work right without the multiplex.

1970 was the first year a stero fm radio didn't need any external multiplex.

There's a difference between a '69 and '70 stereo model also. Besides needing the multiplex for true stereo reception, the '69 am/fm stero has the word "STEREO" on the plastic dial below the slide switch, while on a '70 it says "STEREO" on the fm roll dial.

The correct model number for a '70 is
01AFP1 or 01AFP2 (am fm mono)
01AFM1 or 01AFM2 (am fm stereo)

E-mail me if need be. Bottom line, stick with a genuine '70 to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.