Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome & weatherstrip piece that attaches to the side of the rear quarter window came off while I was rolling (power windows) the window down. What is the best way to reattach the strip to the window?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by eduardo69chevelle:
Great question, I need to install both of mine and can't find this information either.

Ed
I'm sure there is a glass setting compound to use but this will work. Clean up glass and inside of chrome channel w/ alcohol. Apply RTV / silicon to edge of glass and inside channel prior to pressing on. Trial fit it first though and measure to make certain it will fully seat and align correctly prior to applying any silicon.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I put in a thin strip of left over buytl tape from a windshield install once. It worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Keep it thin enuff and it should work.The chrome piece has to be seated all the way onto the glass or you'll probably have trouble when rolling window down. Originally was a small "U" shaped rubber piece, and the chrome was somehow "pressed" into place. Impossible to do without whatever machine they used. (impossible for me at least, I sure tried!)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
This thread is actually a little confusing. The "butyl tape" mentioned here from a windshield install is not what is sold at glass shops as "butyl tape" The stuff they use is non sticky and comes in different thicknesses. You get several thicknesses and use whichever one makes the strip very snug. Use a little mineral spirits for lubricant, tap the strip on with a wood block and hammer. Razor off excess.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
Well, just as a note - I tried the silicone, didn't work, problem with silicone it does not cure in the channel, not enough air gets in there - I let it sit for two days, when it came off it was still wet on the inside. I tried a different silicone, still sitting but I can see this too isn't working - will pick up and try the Urethane today.

Thks
Rich

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just changed one yesterday on my '72. It had enough of the old rubber inside the channel so all I did was tap it on with a rubber mallet and it's not going anywhere! (install weatherstrip after tapping it on)

Maybe a glass shop might have a piece of that rubber???

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Originally posted by richr:
Well, just as a note - I tried the silicone, didn't work, problem with silicone it does not cure in the channel, not enough air gets in there - I let it sit for two days, when it came off it was still wet on the inside. I tried a different silicone, still sitting but I can see this too isn't working - will pick up and try the Urethane today.

Thks
Rich
I put both of mine on with silicone 3 years ago and they are still tight. :confused:
Ron

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
Ron,

One of the problems I am running into is that the new weather strip plus the new U channel rubber is very tight, they just grab the bottom of the molding as the window goes down and pulls them off. I glued the pass side with fresh silicone last night, I am going to let it sit until Thurs, the drivers side I'll try the Urethane, tonight. I also made a few relief cuts in the U channel rubbers and I think that will help. I should know by the end of the week how all this holds up. All I can say - what a PIA these things are, spending way too much time on this.

Thks

Rich

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm glad to wait until you find out more. This reminds me of many things I have done in the past and wondered why was this so hard?

Keep us posted. Is there any reason to think an automotive glass shop can install these properly or is it too old for them to deal with.

By the way, the butyl tape I referred to was some leftover material from putting in a windshield years ago that still seems fine. Can't reall imagine how to thin it out enough to work.

ed

·
Registered
292 Posts
I expect the urethan is the same material they use to set the windshield. The guy who did mine said the butyl was too elastic in how weather and years ago they quit using it for windshields.

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts