Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as bad as I hate to do it, looks like I'm gonna have to sell my '70 project to be able to finish the '69 I'm working on.

I have a guy that is interested in it, but we can't come to terms on the price.

The car needs one rear qrt, a lower patch on one qrt, and a section of floor under the rear seat.
The rest of the floor is very solid, as is the trunk. The front fenders are solid with no rust at all. Doors are solid with no rust. Comes with a pin on Harwood dome hood.

It has a 3.31 Posi 12 bolt still in the car. I have all the interior that goes with the car that is in good shape (bucket seat interior) with the console and staple shifter. Also, tilt steering column.

Also, I have collected some parts that will go with the car, like SS dash cluster with gauges not idiot lights and 5500 rpm redline tach (correct green lettering for '70), beautifully restored SS Steering wheel, 15 x 8" ralley wheels, TH350C (lock-up convertor) tranny and other minor stuff.

Also, not sure why but the car has 3/8" fuel line and heavier front springs (the actual wire dia. is fatter than the ones on the '69 I'm working on) But I know it is not an SS car because of the sweep dash that came in the car.

I didn't think my asking price was out of line, but, I wanted to see what you guys think this thing should be worth before I haggle any more with the guy.

Granted, it will not be an easy restore, but, it is fairly complete just needs to be put together.

I can get some pics if needed, but, I'm really just lookin for a ball park figure.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few pics of it the way it sat when I bought it.

Now keep in mind that I have disasembled it to start the restore when I got the '69 and decided to do it first, but at least you can see what it is.

Also, the wheels and tires in the pics are not included.

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There are alot of malibu project cars available most of the time. That makes it a competitive market to sell from. Maybe you should tell us what you're asking, and we'll let you know what we think.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I have heard that you could of ordered a car with all SS performance stuff but not any of the trim. Like the standard dash, no rubber pad on the bumper, no stripes, just the basic trim like on a malibu but with a big block, 12 bolt, and all the suspension stuff.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm needing 2700. He's offering "around" 1600. He is a local restorer that I do some work for at times.

I may be a little high, but I don't think I can take the hit if I let him have it for 1600. I have over 3200 in it and the stuff I had collected for it. I was planning to keep this one after it was done.

He said he would go 2400 if I hung a new qrt. and install the pan beneath the rear seat, but I'd be looseing that way too. Plus, I really don't want to put money in it that I could put in the '69.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard that you could of ordered a car with all SS performance stuff but not any of the trim. Like the standard dash, no rubber pad on the bumper, no stripes, just the basic trim like on a malibu but with a big block, 12 bolt, and all the suspension stuff.
Thats what I thougt this car may have been when I bought it. It has a larger dia. front sway bar than the '69 does. I think it was 1" and the '69 was 7/8" not sure, it has been about 2 years since I last looked it over.

Something else, it has the rear frame braces for the rear end, but, no sway bar or boxed arms.

But, I don't know if it ever had a big block. I bought it without an engine.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Your car could be a Malibu 400 that would have had a big block and the heavy suspension. Your price is very reasonable, I agree that 1600 is way to cheap. I think the guy is going to flip it if he gets it cheap.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Your car could be a Malibu 400 that would have had a big block and the heavy suspension. Your price is very reasonable, I agree that 1600 is way to cheap. I think the guy is going to flip it if he gets it cheap.
Exactly!!! Anyone that tries to really lowball someone on a car that the masses are already aware of as a desireable model (Chevelle coupe). They are looking to flip it IMO. Someone whom is serious about restoring a car as a hobbiest usually doesnt lowball to a dirt cheap give it away price. They dont want to insult the guy right out of a deal. At least thats the way it is around here. I am really looking for a 70-72 El Camino and a 69SS right now, when I find the right car for the right price, im sure as heck not going to lowball the guy and insult him. I may offer a little less but thats how you buy used cars, you agree on a fair amount, not a lowball price that both parties know is unfair and unreasonable.

IMO, dont budge on that price, you have it priced very fairly and reasonable. If there are tons of Malibu coupes around that appear in that reasonable condition, for that price out there. I take a few for myself to make projects out of.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks fellows,

I'm going to give him one last chance to get closer to my price and see what happens. If not, I'll post it here in the classifieds.

I guess you could say that the guy is kinda a friend of mine. He runs a restoration shop and I know he just wants to flip it. Thats all he does.

·
Registered
802 Posts
thanks dwayne. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would place it in the TC classifies, and let him know you did it. friends dont do that to friends period!

·
Registered
802 Posts
its my car now. very good car for money. has alot of ss options but cant really tell. non disturbed 3/8 line, disc brakes, 3.31 posi, bigger front springs? not going to call it real though. might do a clone. might do a title search.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike, glad to hear you got her home alright.

Please keep us informed on your progress. I really did hate to see her go, but at least she now belongs to someone who has the time to treat her right. :D

Like I said, its not going to be a "easy" project, but she does have some nice pieces for a good start on a very nice ride.

If you have any questions about anything, give me a hollar.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dwayne i will treat her as wrong as possible! Already done a 496 for it. Dude i have not slept since tuesday bro. I want to see your project when your done. Loved the vette. Keep a lookout for some good deals for me buddy! P.S. where is my modern chevrelet catalog?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts