Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 70 chevelle power bench seat for 40.00 from a junk yard. If the power unit is bad. Where can i have the unit repaired

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Of all the Chevelles I have parted out over the years, I have never seen one with a power bench or even power bucket seat/s. These options are more often found in Monte Carlos 70-72 or the Oldsmobiles (Cutlass Supreme, 442, or other gm models like the Buicks or Pontiacs) although I've seen very few Pontiacs optioned like this. Mainly Olds or Buick.
If you really found a 70 Chevelle with a power bench seat for $40, jump on it ASAP. The power bench seat tracks are going for $150-250 on eBay.

You should look that car over well for other rare options. If it has the power bench seat, then odds are it also has other expensive/luxury options. PW ? PDL ? Power trunk release ? Cruise control ? AM/FM 8 track stereo ? ($500 on ebay). Remote drivers mirror ? Lighted rear view mirror ?

Make sure you cut the brackets from the floor as well as they are special for the power bench seat tracks. It may only be the drivers side that you'll need. Check it out.
Also be sure to get the plastic side cover as they are very hard to find in unbroken condition.
I have yet to see a power seat motor that doesn't work. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you could replace it or have it rebuilt. You could always hook up a battery to the power lead and check it first. You'll find the power lead in the plastic sheath that runs under the carpet on the drivers side. Don't cut it. Trace it under the dash and disconnect it there. You should also get the 40 amp relay on the firewall near the master cylinder and ALL related wiring/firewall grommet.

This is a fairly simple swap, with the exception of cleaning up the floor bracket and welding it into your floor.
Cut the bracket out of the car with a sawzall and separate the floor metal from the bracket later. Look for the spot welds and grind them down to aid in prying the panels apart.

You don't mention whether the car is a 2 or 4 door. I'll assume it's a 4 door. If so, you won't need the seat itself as it does not fold. If it's a 2 door, then you should snag the whole seat, unless the springs are rusted badly. 71-72 A body seats are made differenty. Different padding and springs. The 68-70 seats are getting harder and harder to find in good condition these days. Even for recovering. They are better. If you are ever planning on recovering a 70-68 folding bench seat, you should get the 4 door seat just for the parts.

Let us know what you find in regards to other options this car has.
1970 Chevelle rare options bring huge $$$$ today on eBay.
Especially with all the newly found LS6 cars being found in barns out in the country. :rolleyes:

Nate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts