Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm finally getting around to converting my interior from the incorrect black it currently has, to the pearl white its supposed to have. I'm going with Legendary seat covers, and when I went to order the associated parts I found that the plastic, lower seat frame shields come in both white and pearl. Should I be ordering the pearl or the regular white plastic pieces for the seats to go with the pearl seat covers? It should all be pearl to be 'correct', yes?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My "Guess" is that like with any color other than Black, you may be painting trim parts to match or you'll have several shades of White to contend with.

Seat trim not matching Arm rests etc.

Very interesting Color Combination. I've never actually seen one and was dissapointed that the car had black interior installed when I opened the pictures.

My guess is it will be stunning with a crisp fresh interior is installed.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My hardtop car is the same color combination as yours but I have always considered it just white on white (ivory) with black stripes. I always thought that triple white would involve a vinyl top, a convertible with a white top, or a hardtop with the 2-color chrome trim (same trim as with vinyl top) but with both the upper & lower color white 10-10. ZK

·
Registered
797 Posts
we painted my father-inlaws a sem paint called super white ,the name of the color sounds bright but it's not , but if I was buying new plastic a think i would go with white. cool color combination:thumbsup:,Only saw 1 other car that color and it was a vert.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hardtop car is the same color combination as yours but I have always considered it just white on white (ivory) with black stripes. I always thought that triple white would involve a vinyl top, a convertible with a white top, or a hardtop with the 2-color chrome trim (same trim as with vinyl top) but with both the upper & lower color white 10-10. ZK
IMO, by definition a 'triple' anything car is one that does not have a vinyl roof or a convertible top, but rather a painted roof. When referencing a triple red car for example, we're talking about a red roof, red body, and red interior. Opinions may vary, but I believe this is the consensus.

As for your car, do you have any photos? I searched for years to find a triple white car and almost passed over this one because, as my pictures show, it had a black interior when I found it years ago. Out of curiosity, my search continued even after I bought this car, and I only know of two other triple white cars -- an SS396 and an LS6 SS454 (mine being an LS5).

69396ss said:
My "Guess" is that like with any color other than Black, you may be painting trim parts to match or you'll have several shades of White to contend with.

Seat trim not matching Arm rests etc.

Very interesting Color Combination. I've never actually seen one and was dissapointed that the car had black interior installed when I opened the pictures.

My guess is it will be stunning with a crisp fresh interior is installed.
I agree -- it should look stunning. I can't wait to get it finished. I know I can get all of the pieces I need in pearl (except the headrests), but wasn't sure if the seat lowers were supposed to be white or pearl, as both color choices are available. Without name dropping, I spoke with one of the long-time experts from these forums, and the answer is that all the pieces are supposed to be pearl. The problem is usually having to dye the headrests, but I bought a pair of NOS pearl headrests off of eBay a couple years ago, so I'm covered there. ;)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nate,
I would try and find all GM plastic in white, tan, or gold and repaint them.
call Rob at 732-846-1044 and tell him you have Legendary Ivory #202G
and he will get you the right mix.
I spoke with him last week and hes a dictionary on factory paint formulas.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nate,
I would try and find all GM plastic in white, tan, or gold and repaint them.
call Rob at 732-846-1044 and tell him you have Legendary Ivory #202G
and he will get you the right mix.
I spoke with him last week and hes a dictionary on factory paint formulas.
Thanks for the reply, Donnie. For clarification, are you recommending I buy white, tan, or gold plastic pieces and paint them ivory? Is this because the aftermarket ivory colored plastic pieces don't match the seat covers from Legendary or maybe just look bad in general?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
yes I would try and find original parts and paint them.

only use repops if you cant find originals.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes I would try and find original parts and paint them.

only use repops if you cant find originals.
Donnie, I'm guessing that trying to paint over the black pieces I currently have probably wouldn't work too well?

Does the paint you mentioned above adhere well to the plastic? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to ensure I do this once and do it right.

- Nate

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
You'll need to clean them with a plastic cleaner like PPG DX394 or DX103. Then you'll spray them with an adhesion promoter, SEM makes one in a spraycan. Then with the pearl, at least the last one I did, was an actual two-stage system. A white basecoat, then a pearl topcoat. Everyone is right, use original pieces if you have them or can find them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.