Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got my dash out, but not sure how to remove the idiot lights. do i just cut the wirers? im replacing with a ss dash. is a different wiring harnees needed? thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
The idiot lights are mounted the same way in the gauge cluster housing, as the factory gauges. Just unscrew the tiny screws that hold in the idiot lights and the gas gause, speedo, and clock. you can use the same cluster housing if the mounting tabs are not broken and the lens is clear. i have fixed several dashes this way. you will need a new wiring harness for the gauges, from idiot light and a new printed circut board. Can get them at several different chevelle parts places. New harness is the most expensive of all the parts.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
The idiot lights are mounted the same way in the gauge cluster housing, as the factory gauges. Just unscrew the tiny screws that hold in the idiot lights and the gas gause, speedo, and clock. you can use the same cluster housing if the mounting tabs are not broken and the lens is clear. i have fixed several dashes this way. you will need a new wiring harness for the gauges, from idiot light and a new printed circut board. Can get them at several different chevelle parts places. New harness is the most expensive of all the parts.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
WillW23. He has the non SS sweep style dash.
Yes you can just cut the wires. I would tag them as you cut them off. If you are good at wiring and reading schematics you can rewire the sweep harness for SS idiot or tach gauge harness. You need wiring diagrams for both and the correct 12 pin SS gauge cluster connector. Many 70's and 80's camaros have this connector in the harness, visit your local junkyard and clip one out of the harness, try to get at least 4-6 inches of wire. Now its just a matter of splicing your harness wires to the connector wires. If you go with gauges you will have to add wires for the tach and amp gauge. I have done this a couple of times now. Go here for SS idiot light and gauge wiring. http://www.endrud.net/gauges/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts