Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The SS hood would have been added.

There has been extensive writings on these cars in the past year. Check the archives, you should also be able to find the name of a couple of people here who have one.

Steve R.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You know, about six months ago I saw a 71 Malibu 396 and didn't pay it much attention. At first I thought it was just a big block transplant but when I opened the hood it looked like that big block had been sitting there since day one. The fenders had the "396" right behind the "Malibu" tag where you'd normally see "350". The car was triple black and loaded to the gunwales with every conceivable option. The asking price was $10K. I tried to get a friend of mine to consider purchasing the car but it was gone before he got to see it. So this may have been a pretty rare original car?

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rare find if real.

Check the numbers closely on the engine pad and compare Engine (3 digit letter code) Code with info available on this site. The motor is really a 402 (330HP?)but there should be "400" emblem on the front fender. Also the last series of digits should match the VIN Number (last series of numbers) on plate at intersection of windshield and dash on the drivers side. However a build sheet or original sticker would be nice to confirm also.

Good luck. Check it out closely could be a clone. If real (and has original motor) and in decent shape it is probably worth the $$ because of its rarity.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
I agree, I believe a TRUE BB Malibu SHOULD have come with 400 emblems. They are scarce, and one of these would be the equivalant of an SS396 WITHOUT the SS trim/badging/pkg. And I also agree about the hood being added. I believe the ONLY cars to get the SS, or domed, hood were SS and HEAVY CHEVY cars.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don_lightfoot:
My source indicates a total of 113.

45 automatics
68 manual

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I am the source of that information. But that is for the '69 non-SS 396 Malibu. From '70-'72 you could get the LS3 402 big-block (looks just like a 396) in any car in the entire Chevelle lineup. LS3 Malibu 2-door coupe production was approximately:

1970: 1250 cars
1971: 1850 cars
1972: 950 cars

Most of those were automatics. Very, very few came with the Muncie "MC1" heavy duty 3-speed manual. The rest were Muncie 4-speeds.

This information is from:
http://www.designscomputed.com/a_body_68_72.html

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
This is news to me...the General made non-SS 396 Malibus in 1969? I thought the only big block '69 non-SS cars were COPO models...?

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-4??hp
Frame-off Resto, presently being painted, NOT stock but looks it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.