Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my best friend's brother is thinking about buying an unrestored '70 LS6 convertible and is not sure if the $17K asking price is too high. The car is totally complete and straight but will require a couple of rust holes to be fixed (not in the quarters) and obviously new paint. The car is an automatic (CRR code)with cowl induction and doesn't have stripes.

If it was me and I had the green handy (which he does) I'd be there so quick that stuff would get sucked out of the room behind me. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Kevin-
What city is it in? My mom just looked over my shoulder saw the city you live in and read your thread, if your friend doesnt want it she does!! She promises though, no wheel tubs on that puppy!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
My 65's Homepage
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd buy it if I where him. I've seen completely rusted out LS6 cars (trunk, fenders, quarters, floorboards) advertised for 20,000 plus. It's also a covertable! Very rare! Just try and document that it is a numbers matching car and see if anyone has information on it's past or even try and locate the build sheet. If you like cruising around topless it would have to be the ultimate!

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Kevin if its real and in the shape you say you better go get it. If not tell me where it is as i sure will.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Kevin,

I think I'm right when I say that a cowl induction was NOT available without the band-aid stripes. If that is a true LS-6, something seems to be amiss. There were LS-6 convertibles obviously without the stripes, but they were also without the cowl ind. Someone is welcome to correct me, but that is what I've read!

Tim

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think you could have ordered a stripe delete option on the 70 SS with Cowl Induction. The hood would have had the hood pins and the flap and the stripes could have been deleted on the build sheet. Convertibles look better without the stripes anyway.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I also was under the impression that cowl induction came with stripes and the option was that a dealer could install the stripes on the non cowl hood for 70. I will try to see if I can find more info.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Stripes could most definately be deleted from the cowl induction hood. I've seen documented SS cars with the stripe delete on the build sheet. Actually, it is just marked with a "-" in the paint code box under the "S", for stripe color, plus the lack of D88 HOOD AND DECK STRIPE on the options area.
There's 3 LS6 convertibles in the Hemmings this month, one is supposedly a bogus car, and of the other two, one is $89G, and the other is going to be at the Barrett-Jackson Auction this month.
Documentation is the key to the car bringing big $$$.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes stripe deletes are out there.Reggie Jackson had a cortez silver LS-6 that was seen in Super Chevy articles in the early 80's.Plain Jane !

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
The only NEW car, with a CI Hood, that I have personal experience with, was a 72 Concours wagon I spec ordered. I ordered it with full pwr, air, BB, Muncie, 12bolt 3.31 posi AND a NO STRIPE CI Hood. My ex got it in a divorce in 76. Literally, EVERYTHING from the radiator to the rear lug nuts (including the COMPLETE CI Hood system) is now on my son's 71 SS454 clone. The gutted, rusted wagon hull rests in piece behind my ex's barn.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I agree - if its legit, complete, and documented, its definitely one to buy. Consider the purchase price ($17K) plus the cost of restoring ($15-$20K) and you still come out with way less ($32-$37K) than you'd have to spend to buy one that's done.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.