Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While recently doing some research on the L-89, I noticed that my reference showed only 18 Chevelles built with this option in 1970? This was the only car I could find with the L-89 option in that year? Is this correct? If so, would anyone have information as to what aluminum head was used (842's??) to get the correct 11:1 compression ratio? My references show the 842's to be for 68 & 69 models? Should there be information in the breakdown of standard transmission or automatic, that would be appreciated, also?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I thought the L89 was available on the Nova SS396 in '70 as well?

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Not via a regular production option; might have been some dealer installed or F&SO ordered. The L89 option was the aluminum cylinder heads themselves for both the 396 and 427 engines. Chevrolet's production reports shows them reported under 1969 and 1970 only for Chevelles. 1968 shows them under Corvette and Camaro only; 1969 under Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle; and 1970 under Chevelle only. Probably due to the low sales in 1970, Colvin's doesn't even show the L89 heads in his 1970-75 book.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Interestingly, there has been a thread going on for a month on SCR about a black 70 L89 Nova that was on Dream Car Garage. Good reading to say the least. Some believe it exists and others flat out don't. Oddly enough another 70 L89 Nova has surfaced as well in another thread on that site, this one is silver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Recently, there has been a claim of 1 of 1 L-89 Nova? Before this, no Nova has been documented as an L-89, that I am aware? Too me, it would seem more logical to find a 69 L-89 Nova, because there was 311 of those referenced for the 69 Camaro? The only reference I have been able to find in 1970 of the L-89, is in the 70 Chevelle, that being a very low number? Does anyone know of a documented 70 Chevelle with this option?

Open Chamber design L-88/ZL-1 heads were developed for a 12:1 compression ratio, but IMOP believe these could not have been used on any 11:1 engines? Anyone know what the 569 head was for? Ray

·
Premium Member
271 Posts

Recently, there has been a claim of 1 of 1 L-89 Nova? Before this, no Nova has been documented as an L-89, that I am aware? Too me, it would seem more logical to find a 69 L-89 Nova, because there was 311 of those referenced for the 69 Camaro? The only reference I have been able to find in 1970 of the L-89, is in the 70 Chevelle, that being a very low number? Does anyone know of a documented 70 Chevelle with this option?

Open Chamber design L-88/ZL-1 heads were developed for a 12:1 compression ratio, but IMOP believe these could not have been used on any 11:1 engines? Anyone know what the 569 head was for? Ray
Ray. I am restoring a documented 1970 L-89. I have posted progress on team chevelle site.If You want click on blackmagic and look at things I posted and You will be able to see progress.I am starting to work on car again today as I have been busy with work.Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The heads used on the 70 L-89 are 842 closed chamber heads.As far as manual or auto trans it would be what you ordered as this would be a spec order car.Brian

Brian, thanks for sharing this information. You certainly have a very rare car and want to say the information you disclose on the heads, makes sense. Just asking, but are there other L-89's known to exist, that you might know of? If so, are the build dates pretty close together?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Brian's car is the only documented L89 that I know of. We know that Chevrolet built 18 Chevelles with this option thanks to the Tonawanda Plant records. I know where a CKP engine with a Kansas City V.I.N. is at but the car is MIA. I've seen other supposed L89 cars but none with factory paperwork. Rare beast indeed.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts