Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are in the process of restoring the interior on our '70 SS to it's original code 791 "Ivory" bucket seats, rear bench seat, and front/rear door panels. But, finding the upholstery to do the installation with, is proving impossible. Doesn't anybody make white interiors for the '70 SS?

I contacted OPG and they only make "Pearl", which according to their rep is kind of a metallic off-white, but definitely not white. To my knowledge, this isn't the same as Ivory, which I imagine is essentially white.

Anybody know where I can get Ivory? Or if Pearl is actually correct, despite all I've been reading on the subject. TIA ...

- Nate

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nate, the '70 color is ivory. Most people call it pearl. I had a 70 convert with ivory interior. I ordered 'pearl' 70 door panels and they matched mine perfectly. I think one of the companies even sent me a swatch of the material.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, HD & Tim.

Tim, yeah I thought it odd that OPG had every other color but the one I was looking for. What you said might just explain it. So, on that note, I think I'll take a page from your book and ask them for a sample swatch. :D

Thanks again.

- Nate

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Hey Guys.

On a related note, does anyone know if one of the parts suppliers carry Ivory/pearl Headrests for a '70? I checked with Ground-up and they told me you have to buy black and dye them! I wonder how many coats you need to cover black and then match your seat covers!

TIA

Andy :eek:

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
About 3 coats works good. I dyed mine 2 years ago and they still look good. Its a 2 part dye, the color then the pearl. Look at the pic in my signature.
Ron

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by ToocoolZ28:
About 3 coats works good. I dyed mine 2 years ago and they still look good. Its a 2 part dye, the color then the pearl. Look at the pic in my signature.
Ron
That's something I've never tried before. I'm kind of surprised the white dye works on that black surface. What kind of dye did you use and what is the process. Sorry, but I've never done it before.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just a thought...it's possible that the covers for your headrests might be the same as for other GM cars like a Camaro, possibly even of a different year. If you actually need "white" instead of "pearl", I know Camaro headrest covers are available in Ivory/White. Might be worth a comparison. ;)

Skip

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Originally posted by TripleWhiteSS454:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ToocoolZ28:
Ron
That's something I've never tried before. I'm kind of surprised the white dye works on that black surface. What kind of dye did you use and what is the process. Sorry, but I've never done it before.
</font>[/QUOTE]I bought the dye from Year One, you spray the color as many coats as you need, let it dry then spray the pearl. Its pretty simple and I'm happy with mine.
CLEAN the headrests very well first.
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
For anyone in need of Genuine GM Factory Original Seat inserts in 5 Colors including white. NOT REPRODUCTIONS. E-mails welcomed.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Thanks for the info on the dye! I had no idea it was THAT good.

I've got a convert. Any idea how long the dye holds up to sunlight? Does it eventually crack/peel and have to be re-done?

Thanks Again!

Andy

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Dont know, mine has been on there for a couple years, but my car is a coupe and sits in the garage unless I'm driving it.
Ron

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a 70 with the "791" ivory code and the previous owner had new Pearl White interior installed. I often wondered if "ivory" and "pearl" were the same. I Like the Pearl look, it's metallic like you indicated. Matter of fact I just put in new arm rests and pads because I dont think they made repros when he had the new interior installed 12 years ago.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've searched my tail off and despite seeing that GM calls the 791 interior "ivory", which by all accounts is white, absolutely nobody makes a white interior for the '70 -- only "pearl".

So, I contacted PUI and spoke with them about my dilemma. For a special order fee that would "probably be a minimum of $100+", they will do a white interior for the '70 Chevelle, although the person I spoke to did note that it's more of an eggshell white, than a bright white. As to why they don't offer white when GM says that's the color (code 791), they didn't really have a reason.

If I were to choose this route, PUI would refer me to a retailer, as they don't do retail themselves, even for special orders. It's my understanding that they will do white for all the pieces I need: door panels (front and rear), seat covers (front and rear), armrests (front and rear), and armrest bases. They also said it would take anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks. They're sending me swatches of both the eggshell white and pearl colors, today. Thanks again to Tim for that idea. This should end my confusion once and for all.

I'll post when I get them, as to which we're going to go with -- special order or not. I'd rather spend the extra cash and get the job done right the first time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nate - Is any of the material original, as far as you know, in the interior. Most of my 70 convert was original 790 bench seat ivory. It did have a sheen to it almost like pearl. I ordered 1970 'Pearl' door panels from NPD and it appeared very, very close to my original panels. I wish I would have kept some of the original pieces. The car has been gone now for few years.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by 70Z15:
Nate - Is any of the material original, as far as you know, in the interior. Most of my 70 convert was original 790 bench seat ivory. It did have a sheen to it almost like pearl. I ordered 1970 'Pearl' door panels from NPD and it appeared very, very close to my original panels. I wish I would have kept some of the original pieces. The car has been gone now for few years.
Unfortunately, I don't have anything to go on here. One of the main reasons we bought the car is because it is a triple white car -- white roof, body and interior -- or at least it's supposed to be. The previous owner decided to change it to black, because when he did the restoration, apparently it was the easiest color to get his hands on and he "liked black better anyway". So, we bought the car because we knew we'd restore it to it's former interior color and have a triple white car, which I've yet to see until now. I'm sure they're out there, but we had to look about 3 years to find this one.

I appreciate your feedback on this question. I was hoping other white interior '70 owners would give their $.02 as well. For now, it's 1 vote for pearl. :D

Also, thanks Skip, I'm checking into white headrests for other GM models as well, although it seems most retailers carry white vinyl "covers" for headrests. Anyone ever tried them? They supposedly fit like a glove, but I'm leery of that statement due to the shape of the headrest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts