Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I order a pair of GM hood hinges for my 70ss from original parts group, the hood hinges looks like the are painted black. I thought that they should be a black phosphate. Am I right? If so has any one had this problem before? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The new ones now are black painted. The originals were a gray phosphate. About the best you can do, short of getting the new ones phos plated, is to use something like the Eastwood Cast Blast gray paint. It looks very much like the original. Just have to be careful when replacing the springs. There was a tip in this area some time ago about lengthening the springs by slipping flat washers between the coils until the spring is long enough to basically just slip on the hinges. Only problem I've had was that new springs plus new hinges equals hood won't close. Just be sure to work the new hinges a few times, because they're too tight out of the box. I even ended up using the old springs before it really felt right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.