Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a reasonable wiring harness offered somewhere to change idiot lights to gauges on a 70 chevelle SS. Got the gauges but no printed curcuit or harness. I seen somewhere that you could buy reconditioned harnesses at a reduced cost than the new ones. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ted,

I did the exact thing you're doing. You can do it yourself with your existing harness if you like. Visit the site below. It contains my notes and diagrams, with some additional input from Jimmy the site's owner.

http://azonline.com/~jimmy/conversion.htm

You can do the job with your stock harness if you wish, but you will need a new PCB availible from our sponsor (pn# GPC-521 - $110) as well as many other suppliers.

I'd be happy to help you out with what ever questions you have.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ted,
I've not done this myself, but have seen many postings on it. Many have recommended NOT disconnecting the idiot lights. My thinking is the same. While having the gauges is a definite asset, nothing catches your eye like a stray lamp lit. The page Michael references looks very detailed. Good luck!
Fred

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ted, I'm changing my idiot lights for real gauges. Part of the reason is my original dash did not include a tachometer and I would rather have an original-appearing in-dash tach than an aftermarket tach mounted in some awkward location. Regarding the other gauges, I want to KNOW my oil pressure and water temp, not just hope the red light comes on at a convenient time if and when something goes awry.

Regarding the printed circuit board, the one that came with my dash package (which I bought from a guy off this website) was very decayed and I had to buy a new one...and they're not cheap. The best price, I think, is offered by Muscle Factory out of Anaheim ($95). Their toll-free # is (800)762-0317.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Doc Willis (edited 04-21-99).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. The guy who sold the car threw in the cluster and it was pretty nice and really didn't know how involved the changeover might be. Anyway, we have to tear the dash apart to paint the tight area by the windshield and get power window wiring in, and maybe factory air so should be able to do all then. Appreciate the help. Ted

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Doc I don't know if you have installed the gauges yet but you might be diappointed to note that you DO NOT get an oil pressure gauge. Even with the gauge package it is still a light. What I have seen others do is put an aftermarket oil gauge in the ash tray. That way when you go to a car show, close the ash tray and hide the aftermarket gauge.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently put a tach dash in my 70 wagon. The printed circuit that came with the cluster looked pretty good, so I went ahead and used it. That was a stupid thing to do! A few months later my gas gauge began acting up, then my signal lights, etc., ect. Before long I had to drop the dash to remove the cluster just to change the printed circuit. Moral of story: A hundred bucks for a printed circuit is well worth the cost. It beats guessing how much gas is in the tank, not to mention the time it takes to change the circuit once the dash is in place!

On a totally unrelated note: I'm selling my beautiful 68 Chevelle Concours Coupe, and it seriously pains me. It's almosty like being in a relationship that you know has to end. I hope whomever buys the car lives far away from me. For those interested: www.classiccarlot.com/68Chevelle.html

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.