Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 El Camino 350/th350 275bhp, factory engine, and transmission.. Speedo began to act weird, then died in a day. Sporatically works when shifting into 2nd around 3300rpm..about 45 mph..then ceases to work, and will continue pattern..replaced speedo cable. :confused: no change in situation, someone help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pull gear from trans tailshaft see if the driven gear is still good. Sounds like its the drive gear though. Necesatates(sp?) pulling the tail housing to change it

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Phillip, Very impressive diagnosis. Sounds like you have been there. Hope you are doing well. Later, Pat

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Oh yes taken a few ATF/GL90 showers. Amazing how that stuff get everywhere. and the Smell
Alaskan: after pulling the driven gear see if you can spin the drive gear on the mainshaft with a little screwdriver You should not be able to spin it. Also double check the driven gear to cable could be the plastic is rounded out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully this works.. Don't know.. last time that I checked the drive gear, 1 tooth was chipped, might be the culprit, hope so..would you happen to know the color coding of the gears knowing that this one is plastic, it's orange..and what would be the replacement color?

Also, would I be best advised to pull the speedo and have it rebuilt or replaced, and where would that need to happen and how much are we talking about?

P.S. I'm currently on my way out of the military and will be returning back home to San Antonio, Texas.. any links around there or near-by would be extremely helpful...not to mention that the engine just crapped on me.. I'm getting 10 compression on 6 and little to none on 2... A bad cam? Or piston rings? This problem is immeadiate and in order to ship my car home to Tx..needs to be fixed NOW.. I have around 1200.00 to accomplish this migraine...and need to do it ASAP.. HELP..When I get home, I am hoping to build this motor (the original) up to a 350hp from the stock factory 275hp...what do I need to do?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts