Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was originally posting this as a reply to the changing a '72 to '70 front clip because thats what reminded me of it but i decided to make it its own post.....

i have a 1970 camino.. well.. i was in the mall parking lot and saw a '72 camino.. i know it was a 72 by the dual parking light lens sections on the front, and also the "1972 chevrolet el camino" plate frame gave it away

anyways my car (the 70) and this 72 were IDENTICAL, EXCEPT for the very front ends.. and even then i think the bumper & grill may have been the same or very similar

the body shape and lines were exact, had the exact same style and placing of the badges (the "el camino" and "350" badges) same hood, you name it it was the same.

this was at night but i could see somewhat into the interior and the dash was also identical. the same long sweeping speedometer (no other guages but the spot for the clock, only dummy lights) the same heating&air controls, glove box, etc !! im really scratching my head on this one, there cant be that little of a difference between a 70 and 72.

my vin/cowl info all points at a '70 and this other camino i saw didnt look like it was messed with.. looked like what may have been the original green paint, wasnt in the greatest condition or anything.

what do you guys think?

you can look at some pics of my '70 at
http://radon.mit.edu/~mike/elcamino/
and im sorry they take so long to load i'll fix it soon..

im really confused on this one

mike reeh

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mike,

Nice looking 70 Elky you have there.

There isn't anything major different between a 70 and 72 except the front end. The body lines are the same, but the fenders, grill, fender extensions, and bumper are different. The interior is the same, but I believe the AC vents are slightly different. That's about it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thats a 71 with dual parking light lens on the front, 72 had 1 piices parking lens.

The front clips (exceopt the hood)and small interior/exterior cosmetic changes are the difference's. Doors and rearward are the same sheet metal 68-72. Also the 70 had 4 headlights and the 71 and 72 had only two.

I have owned a used 1970 and a new 1972 El Camino SS's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unless I am mistaken...

The '72 dash has a light on the sweep speedo for "Fasten Seat Belts" that was not present on the '70.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The biggest difference between a 70 and 72 is not only the subtle changes in the front end, but under the hood. Compression ratios dropped dramatically due to emission controls issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.