Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
540 Chevell'
I just got home from a friends of house. He has the Covan dash kit, and is starting to install it.The insert is molded ABS plastic and fit well into the opening.You have to cut out the existing dash gauge housing! His car is all pro Street (Tubbed,871 BDS Blown 454,Roll cage,Custom interior and paint). The only thing that has not been replaced is the dash.So now he's doing that.
The Covan Dash looks good,and fits well,but even with the lightweight gauges the insert seems thin,so he has decided to have an aluminum backing plate made for added strength and rigidity. I'll post some more as he gets the job going.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken thanks for the reply was his an original SS dash or a Malibu?
My is an original would not like to cut it up I could get a replacement dash then install the covan dash.
It would be great to see some pic of it when he is done!
Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
His dash was an original SS dash.He had to cut out the whole gauge area.The area for the radio was already cut for an aftermarket radio.
He had told me he was going to do a custom dash about a year ago,so I asked him not to toss the gauges and gauge cluster.I'm a machinist and I make him all kinds of billet parts, and I am making him the aluminum backup plate for the Covan dash gauges, radio and light switch.
He asked me to come by and take some measurements.When I did he GAVE me the original SS gauge cluster and all the gauges and lense and circuit, all still in one piece,just plug it in!.Really Cool guy!
It is a 70 gauge cluster, with the green tinted guages. I'm going to swap the Tach and fuel gauge with my non working ones and save all the spare stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts