Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my dash to the SS style round cluster. I have checked out different items on ebay and catalogs. The 70 I purchased has a newly restorted interior. What is needed to convert over to SS round style dash without ruining the recent restoration? Do I need a whole dash or just the cluster, cover, and harness?

·
Registered
293 Posts
You'll need the whole dash carrier which runs across the entire width of the car, the cluster, and harness. Not sure how much else is interchangeable (dash pad, glovebox door, ashtray, etc.).

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
We just sold one of our Aluminum Racedashes to a local Chevelle enthusist, and we'll see if he want's to sell his '70 SS Style Round Cluster Dash.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You can use a dash out of a 70-72 Monte Carlo, but there are some differences you need to be aware of. Most Montes used lights instead of guages, but they can be converted using a kit from one of the aftermarket suppliers like Groundup. Also, Monte dashes had a sheetmetal panel bonded to the face of the instrument panel that was covered with simulated woodgrain. Some people have simply removed the woodgrain face and filled the holes where it was mounted, and others have removed the woodgrain face, stripped the woodgrain material from the sheetmetal and painted and reinstalled the face.

You can also buy a new reproduction dash carrier from the aftermarket, but will need to locate an instrument cluster to install in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts