Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beat to death but help would be great. I need to know what I am going to need to convert a sweep dash to a idiot light round dash. Already have the dash, pad, idiot light gauges. What wiring will I need to replace and what companies provide these parts. I have already done a search and most of the info is for going to a gauge dash. Thanks for all the great information guys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You'll need a 70 idiot light dash harness. They are around $350. If you go with a used one make sure it is for a 70!!! I have found that each year has a different harness! (70,71 and 72) Physically they all look the same, but if you compare wiring diagrams for all three years, you will see different colored wires in the fuse block. All are PHYSICALLY interchangeable, but the wires themselves are different. I found this out when I converted my 72. It all bolted up, but certain things didn't work. (Heater for one and initially I got no power to ignition untill I rewired the pin connectors.) It was a huge pain in the butt to sit there with 2 wiring diagrams and change out all the pin connectors!!! (Especially since I was laying upside down on the driers floor because the dash and wiring had been installed!) Long story short, if I had to do it again,I would just buy anew harness from M&H. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will I need a new fuse block or will the old one work, how about the engine harness and the front lights harness? Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The fuse panel is usually part of the harness. You may even be able to use the complete harness out of a 70 Monte Carlo.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913

1 - 4 of 4 Posts