Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps some of you can help me figure some wiring problems out. I have the factory diagram but need some additional expertise.
My 70 ss was originally a column shift, bench seat car. A console was added. the console courtesy lamp in the rear does not function. The gearshift indicator lamp comes on with the ignition, not with the inst lights. It appears that a jumper harness from the console runs to a 3 wire connector under the dash. This extension harness incoporates a gray,orange and white wire. I think the gray is for the gearshift lights and the other 2 feed the courtesy lamp from the door switch harness. But, the former owner has the console connector plugged under the dash into another 3 way connector with an orange, blue and yellow wire. The shop manual shows that a "heater resistor" should be plugged into this connector. Obviously, mine is missing. What purpose does it serve?

Now, to get the console extension harness connected where it should be, would my original dash harness have had a loose 3 way connector ready for this? Or, was it a different inst harness that would have a connector for the console. I would like to get it connected properly and don't know if I will have to splice the console harness in or is there likely a connector somewhere that already has the gray, orange and white wires? By the way, this car originally did not have a/c, but does now. Does this matter regarding the heater resistor at this 3 way connector? I know there is a resistor under the hood at the evap case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the connector with the orange, yellow ,and blue wire is for the heater resistor, without a/c. the resistor is plugged on the evaporator box under the hood. i don't beleive your factory column shift harness is wired for the console. hook the gray wire to your instrument cluster lights,there should be a gray wire at the radio power plug you can splice into. splice into your courtesy lighs under the dash,the orange wire is hot all the time and the white wire grounds when you open the doors. you will also need to ground the black wire on your shift lights. hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.