Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 SS and the build sheet says am8track should it have a mono dash top or dual speakers front? and rear? It has the dual speaker dash top now. don't know if its original but its nice. the dash is original and had the correct tag but it did have the monte slots. I was told buy a guy that has sold and parted out chevelles for a long time that they came both ways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's no a AC car I think the dash top has been replaced I'll have to check the date on it though. I,m sure the dash has not been replaced it had the correct dated tag still on the guage cluster and the dash is in bad shape from a radio butcher

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A/C cars had the vent come through the center dash so, it shouldn't have a speaker there if it had A/C, as the single dash speaker sits in the way of the center A/C vent. If its a L78 car or an LS6 it probably has a center speaker in the dash.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not so fast . . . I have an original 70 LS5 454 monte carlo with the am/8tract and it had only ONE speaker in the back. That is the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, it had a/c and two speakers in the front.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dec 1st, 99, 01:34 AM
Coppertop
Gold Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick is correct. All stereo equipment of that nature required 4 speakers to work properly. This is why AM/FM-stereo, AM/FM/8track, and AM/8's were not an option in El Caminos because there was no "rear" speaker locations.

Joe
creator of Team Chevelle's radio info pages coming soon

Did a search and came up with the above

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't believe the 8 track was a stereo option or if it was, then it didn't need 4 speakers . . . I am pretty sure the am/8track only had one speaker in the back as my monte carlo had.
I would like to see more data on the subject of the am/8track set up as to if it was considered 'stereo' or not. That only required two speakers???

I would like to see someone with a survivor car with the am/8track and A/C chime in. My car was a survivor . . . still had the original am/8track in it and original speakers. The option listed on the build sheet (just looked at it) called it UM1 am & tape.

Camaros only had provisions for one speaker up front . . . and two in the back.

wouldn't two front speakers and one in back or two in back and one in front be the same setup? for any car?

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the extra cost equipment order book they call it a Stereo Tape System with AM Radio and in the spec guide at the bottom of sheet the UM1 option comes with Dual front speakers on top of instrument Panel and Dual Rear Speakers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmmm . . . so LS6 cars did not have a/c? I think . . .
so you had to have two speakers in front for an LS6 car for an am radio? and any other non-a/c car? Or could they not come with an am radio only? Or would they just put one speaker on one side? for the am radio? and no speakers in back or???

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Hello,

I'd thought I'd dispell some myths;

As always you can reference my website for other helpful hints and facts:

RADIO TECH

The 1970 model year was the first model year in which Delco produced a completely self-contained 1-piece stereo tape playing radio. The factory would have installed this item if ordered. Under-dash 8 tracks were still available, but not installed at the factories.

If your 1970 Chevelle was ordered with RPO C60 (A/C). You Automatically got a "twin-speaker dash pad" if you ordered ANY RADIO. This was of course due to the lack of space for the standard single, center dash speaker created by the center A/C duct.

If your 1970 Chevelle was ordered with ANY MONO radio and NO A/C you automatically got a single center dash speaker. The single rear speaker mounted on the passenger side (RPO U80) was certainly available at extra cost, but again, this would no way affect the dash pad installed.

If your 1970 Chevelles was ordered with ANY stereo equipment, whether it be an AM/FM-stereo pushbutton radio or a AM/8 track player, you Automatically got 4 speakers, no if's, and's or but's about it. 2 up front, 2 in the rear. The electronics of the radios needed 4 speakers to work properly.

It had to do with the production orders, it has nothing to do with engines, or Super Sports, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iv'e been in the radio biz for 30+ years and into Chevelles/El Caminos nearly as long. Coppertop, you could'nt have explained it any better!

·
Registered
374 Posts
coppertop
I have read many of your posts on radios . . . you know not just chevelles but all gm cars, is that right?

I know this is off the thread topic, but how are 2nd generation (particularly 70-74) camaros setup as far as front and rear speakers and stereo options??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
coppertop
I have read many of your posts on radios . . . you know not just chevelles but all gm cars, is that right?

I know this is off the thread topic, but how are 2nd generation (particularly 70-74) camaros setup as far as front and rear speakers and stereo options??
Thanks
Mr. D,

The 1970-1974 Camaros would follow the same set-up, they too rec'd combo radio/8 track players that fit in-dash. Again, any stereo set-up's required 4 speakers (2 speaker loads per output channel).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am now ready to definitively say that not all am/8track or even all am/fm radios were stereo. NOR did they all have two speakers in the rear. I have verified this with 5 different 1970 model A-body chevy cars.

Apparently not all of these were "Stereo" configurations.

So back to the original question . . .
I have a 70 SS and the build sheet says am8track should it have a mono dash top or dual speakers front? and rear? It has the dual speaker dash top now. don't know if its original but its nice. the dash is original and had the correct tag but it did have the monte slots. I was told buy a guy that has sold and parted out chevelles for a long time that they came both ways.
The Mono setup with Any Mono radio would only have ONE speaker in the back (if it had one) as verified by 5 different cars with the original setup. Even an AM radio could have a fader with ONe speaker in the back as well.

Basically what I am saying is it could have come with ONE speaker in the rear very easily.

Now do you want only one speaker in the rear? I wouldn't and no one would really know the difference if it came that way or not.

Now as far as the dash having "slots" in it, I don't know. I have never seen a dash with the slots in it that wasn't in a monte. The slots were for the metal simulated wood covering that went over the top of it. But could it have happened that one or more came that way in chevelles with the slots? I don't know but I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts