Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little rough, and the trunk rot is a little intimidating, but the $6500 opening bid is pretty realistic. I'd buy it for that...maybe someone can make a deal off Ebay...that's the best way to score a fair price.

1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
That body scares me. I think there will be a lot of panel replacement to do it right. The car need pretty much everything. It will be an expensive restoration.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely one you would have to see in person....

·
Registered
14,986 Posts
If bought right, this is a candidate to panel adhesive the trunk patches to keep out the exhaust fumes, make sure the brakes work, throw some seat covers on it and make it a weekend beater. Its a convertable chevelle! Drive it like you stole it and some day while your filling it with gas someone will offer stupid money for it because its a driving convertable chevelle. In the mean time have fun with it. Thats what I would do. Jim

Reactions: 12stones

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. The verts are just awesome looking cars, would be one heck of a cool summer driver.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Why is there no picture taken through the actual trunk opening? I think there is way more rust than the seller is letting on. It's probably one flip beyond what it would take to make Jim Mac's suggested plan successful.

Steve R

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
ANYONE who doesn't remove the bumper or even the license plate flipper before painting the car is most assuredly trying to camouflage a confessional of sins.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
So , If it needs floors from the front to the rear bumper & Rear quarters and two front fenders. GEE,, What do you think the frame may be like?
Where and at what cost do you find a 70 VERT FRAME.
Other than " Getting it safe enough to drive ". and have fun with it. I do believe you would be hard pressed to do a decent restoration on this Malibu S.Block, Vert. What would the cost be to get the body and frame, suspension, Interior & Top "FINISHED" and ready for any type of driveline. At TODAYS prices? :surprise:
Bob
I BET Tom. R. has a REAL GOOD idea. On the cost , Also Tom built his from the ground up in his own shop.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
It will take another $50 to 60,000. to restore it. Unless they can do ALL of the work themselves. Still around $30,000 if the can do it ALL themselves.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Lets see, Buy it for 12/5 add 40-50 to finish it. So when its finished you will have around 50 or 60 grand in a Malibu Vert. Depending of the quality of the finished product.
Why of course you can get 50 or 60 grand for a VERY NICE, 307 Malibu Vert ???????????????? >:)>:)>:)
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Do all you guys just worry about what its worth after a show car restore. Not every body needs a 60K car.

That is a perfect father and son project car. Do it yourself, make it your own, driver local show car. Go thru the mechanics. Get a interior kit and freshen up whats there. Do a home grown paint job and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I think if a father and son take on the job they better have some talent and a lot of cash. Jobs this big usually start off by someone taking it on and either loose interest or get as far as they can and give up. I'm all for father and son projects but this one would be no fun to do. But it is not as bad as some stuff we have been seeing lately like the orange 69.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Do all you guys just worry about what its worth after a show car restore. Not every body needs a 60K car.

That is a perfect father and son project car. Do it yourself, make it your own, driver local show car. Go thru the mechanics. Get a interior kit and freshen up whats there. Do a home grown paint job and enjoy it.
Not everyone wants a high dollar restored car. I like cars with older somewhat faded paint because I don't want to worry about it. Car shows don't interest me, even as a spectator. I wouldn't touch this car with a ten foot pole. It has too much visible rust, who knows what other rust damage isn't shown in the pictures. When I'm looking for a car I'm a value shopper. If it's from the 60's or early-70's is a mid-size and has 2 doors I'm interested. There are too many cars like that in decent shape floating around to even consider a car like this.

Steve R

·
Registered
14,986 Posts
Lets see, Buy it for 12/5 add 40-50 to finish it. So when its finished you will have around 50 or 60 grand in a Malibu Vert. Depending of the quality of the finished product.
Why of course you can get 50 or 60 grand for a VERY NICE, 307 Malibu Vert ???????????????? >:)>:)>:)
Bob
You would be surprised what people pay for nicely done chevelles. My friend sold a nicely done 71 SS clone at barretts this year for $57000 and a nice 66 SS clone for over $60k. This being a 70 and a drop top would have probably sold for more. Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts