Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove 1600 miles this weekend to pick up my new car. It was one hell of a long drive. The return home Sunday was much better being it was my birthday and this red ss 454 convertible was all I could see in the rear-view mirror.
Even my wife was excited after she saw the car. On the drive down she was raising hell spending this kind of $ on a "red neck car" as she would say. After seeing the car she said this is no red neck car, its a piece of furniture. (she didn't realize she married a red-neck).
We arrived at Fort Walton Beach, FL around noon Sat and I had to take her to the beach and sit with her for hours before she would let us go see the car. Hell we live at the beach here in North Carolina.
We made it home safe and am very excited about my new purchase.
I have a question about the interior lights in the 70 convertible. Where are they suppose to be. I looked under dash and found no scokets. I have seen pics of them in the rear arm rest, is that correct?
Thanks for the help.
Tom Humphrey

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
for the 70 chevelle the lamps would be under the dash on each side. The sockets are add-ons, they bolt to the dash and are not part of the dash. I have them on mine, but they may actually be part of a light option group. I am not sure if they were standard. I have never seen a 70 convertible with the lights in the rear side rests, only on earlier models.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Congrats on your new ride

Ditto on the two light sockets under the dash.
I have seen the rear lights you desribed on Buicks, Olds, etc. but never on a chevelle. Guess the blue collar cars didn't warrant them

I have thought about adding them on mine...if I run across a set I might.
Would make a interesting conversation piece.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
964 Posts
Option code RPO #U29 Courtesy Light,or Instrument panel lamp.
It was available on Hardtops and Convertibles.
It came standard on Convertibles seeing as they needed some light source without an overhead light as the Hardtop had.
It was also part of RPO #ZJ9 Aux.light group option.
It is a wire Harness with two metal sockets mounted(Drivers side,Pass.side) that attach to the door switches and fuse block.
The rear seat area did not get any lighting other then from the back of the console,if so equipped.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Rick, sometimes you just scare me with your knowledge

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. Great reply.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Rick is right. On conv, a light under each end of the dash as described, and, if so equiped, on the rear of the console.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Tom, Your story about getting the car ( and the car itself), sounds like my story. My wife scolded me all the way from Ohio to New Hampshire, then she saw the car and calmed down. My drop top has a light clipped under the dash on both driver and passenger sides. I have a center console, and there is a light at the rear of it for the back seat. I believe this, and the other replys, to be correct. Steve

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I parted a 1969 SS396 El Camino a few months back and it had this lighting option. A friend of mine told me that the El Camino's came standard with the underdash lights ??? Can this be true ?
It also had power windows. I've kept track of the car for the last 12 years and then saw the ad in the local nickel ads. ($500). It just figures that I would wave to the guy or stop and talk to him every time I saw the car, ask him again if he wanted to sell it to me, and then find it in the weekly paper for sale. Between the rust and the Big 'ol Oak tree that fell on it, it wasn't worth restoring. I beat about 20 other guys to it though. Gotta be quick, I guess !

Nate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Payador, I see your from Central Ohio. Me too. The TOTAL convertible production run for 70 was around 7,200. It's debated a bit, but out of that number, about 2,000 had the SS options. Have I seen your car before at local shows ? Check mine out on my signature photo below. Steve

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.