Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 convertible has been under cover for the past 5 years and I was having drivers side door problems when I put it to bed for a while.

When pushing in the exterior button on the door handle it will not move in but maybe 1/4". When inside and lifting the interior handle it moves feeely but does not engauge enough to open the door. Only way at this point I can get the door open is to push buttom from outside, and lift handle several times aggressively to finally get the door to dis-engauge. I took the door apart and lubed everything, cleaned it up but same thing. Im assuming something within the mechanisms is worn beyond fix....but Im no expert on this stuff. This was all before I stored the car for the past 5 years.

Im planning on getting the car back out to restore, and 1st job is to fix this door. So suggestions and where do I obtain these potential parts?

All replies and info much appretiated gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
It could very well be a worn latch, but you may try removing the latch and soaking it in some mineral spirits or other grease cutting agent overnight, then lube it. I have found that new lube just won't get where it needs to be in a lock caked up with 30+ year old grease. I had a simullar problem on my 70 convertible. My outside button was nearly impossible to push in and open the door. Once I did this, it worked like new. The biggest problem you may face is removing the 3 mounting screws for the latch. They can be real stubborn. I actually replaced my with stainless when I did this. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts