Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend, i plan to remove my idiot light cluster and install a gauge cluster. although i have the gauge harness, the fuse box is rusted and i don't want to use it. so, i am going to convert the harness connector terminals as necessary to match the gauge printed circuit. i know i've got to run seperate wires for the clock, amp meter and tach.

any suggestions as far as removing the dash? other wiring, etc?

i know how to remove the pad and heater pane, but that's about as far as i've gone.

somewhere, i think i read that i must disconnect the charge light wire or it may drain my battery?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Disconnect the battery for starters. The dash will come off with about 10 1/4" bolts. They are located on both sides, top and bottom, the center section, top and bottom. The steering column will have to be dropped as there is on bolt above it under the dash.
As far as the wiring, change the printed circuit with the gauge panel. The other wiring is fairly straight forward.

------------------

·
Registered
321 Posts
see http://azonline.com/~jimmy/conversion.htm

These are my notes about wiring and such when I did the same job on my 70SS.

Having the assebly manual will help you greatly when taking the dash apart. There is always that ONE bolt you can't see that will drive you crazy. "It should just come out. What's holding it? Where does this wire go? Should I route it through here? Etc."

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.