Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a 74 truck wiper motor? I noticed it basically looks the same but has three wires coming from the motor where the original one had only two. The connectors are the same. Also the workings under the black plastic cover are different but from the outside everything looks identical except for the three wires.

John

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Do you have 1 or 2 speed wipers?
I just finished cleaning/painting my '64 2 speed wiper motor assy. On mine the 3rd wire (closest to the motor on the plug) energizes an electromagnet/relay inside for the "Park" circuit and mechanicals. The center post is ign. switched power, and the one closest to the dist. is the low speed terminal (via resistor).

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I don't know the answer to that one. You could try it, making sure the wiper circuit is fused (so you don't fry your switch. Don't even bolt it in, just connect it and run a temporary ground wire to the case. Give it a try, you'll only lose a 10c fuse if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dose anyone have a wiper motor that actually parks the wipers? The one on my '87 Caprice does, but I doubt that it's the same as the one in my '70. I think the trucks used the same motor as the Chevelles.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black/black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
32 Years on the road and still going!
Also, check out my new 1987 Chevy Caprice Coupe!
Other Restorations - 1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts