Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
361 - 380 of 414 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Chris the car is looking great and your progress on the wiring and all the door goodies has me inspired....If the weather cooperates...NOT heavy wind and yes rain...
I am saddened to hear about the barn. A possible fumigation and maybe just some possible support Joists and posts.... Maybe just need to sturdy it up once the little buggers are done away with.
Let us know how it goes and yes the other cars as well?
In the mean time take deep breathes... the air is fresher for you now.
Casey

Reactions: Jayhawk500

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 · (Edited)
Thanks' my friend. It's one day at a time here. I know it will eventually get better. The wife and I have a plan, sort of....
It all depends on what the inspector says today. I have some of the garages "household goods" in the barn currently along with all the BBC parts.
I moved all of the valuable Chevelle parts out for the time being, as a precautionary act. I feel a good stiff blow (wind) like we used to get on the west coast could knock this barn down.
All of the timbers sound solid. But I still don't trust them. The wife found that these beetles don't start showing saw dust for at least 5 years after infestation.
I sure the previous owners knew this and didn't disclose it. This is why we're so upset. It all depends on what happens this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
"I sure the previous owners knew this and didn't disclose it. This is why we're so upset "
NON disclosure laws are made just for this. If they knew and didn't disclose, you have a solid ground to sue and get them to pay for repairs. Even if they claim they didn't know, getting them on a witness stand under oath is intimidating and should reveal the truth. You should NOT have to pay for this. Be ready to fight for what is right.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 · (Edited)
Just a short update on the barn issue.
This is where I've been spending most of my time. The Chevelle has come to a major stand still for the time being.
After talking with the Orkin inspector, yes, we are infested. Will the barn fall down, NO. Everything is still very solid.
We talked with a few contractors and my realestate agent, (who is also a farmer) and every barn in the county has these beetles.
No barns have fallen down because of them. The quote we received from Orkin was over $5K to treat. NOT HAPPENING!
I am on a limited fixed income. So we decided, we would pull all of the OSB paneling out and have it burned. Sweep out all of the cob webs and old "barn debris (straw)", and treat the barn ourselves with Borax and water. This is the same major ingredient used by Orkin in their treatment. I have the south end of the barn complete with only one stuborn bug and it got blasted with brake cleaner. That'll fix 'em. ;) Yesterday I started on the center section removing the OSB. Lots of work, yes, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.
NO, Not putting the OSB back up. I want to watch and monitor the barn after treating. I should be done in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Get em Chris! Frankie can hold for a while... have to make things right first! Piece of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Super glad to hear this report...
Knowing the barn is solid and stable is a HUGE relief and weight off your, and wife's, shoulders. Putting the sweat equity into treatment only makes it more "yours". You're still too danged far away to jump in the car and help tear out OSB...:(

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Chris, how is your new exterminator job coming ? Big building. Hope you have most of it under control now.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 · (Edited)
I have finished the biggest part of the barn. The humidity has been very high lately, so it's taking the barn longer to dry out.
Next, I have to move everything one more time and finish the end closest to the house. Fortunately, there wasn't any OSB paneling on that end. So it's just a matter of sweeping down all the dust and webs and then spray. What I've done and seen up to this point has worked. So, it's a bit more comforting.
But now, I have to put that on the backburner and fix my well issues. It just never ends with a house that was well maintained.....NOT!
But I'm not complaining, I have no mortgage...

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
My road trip to Florida is complete and my Dad is a very happy camper. I got the engine running within an hour after getting there. Then the rest of the time was spent on getting it wired.
9 full 9 hour days in 90+ degree and 90+ % humidity. (alot of 9's). Anyway, got it done. I had to order some small parts for the car and Pops can handle getting those installed. I enjoyed the time with my folks as I haven't seen them in over 5 years. (living in oppsite corners of the country.)
This is my Dad's car. He's done EVERYTHING up to this point. He's 83. He's getting forgetful, so we don't know how much longer he'll be able to do this. But, this project has kept him from sitting in the chair and passing away!
He wanted a third brake light. He spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how to mount it, and gave up. I spent about 20 minutes. 10 years ago, it wouldn't have been an issue.
But the car is fully wired and everything works.

Also, failed to mention...This was a full frame off restroation.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Shorts Grille

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Plant Automotive tail & brake light Grille

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow, very cool that your dad is still playing with cars at 83. Hope I can make it another 13 years.
Very nice of you to get it up and running for him. (y)

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
Chris dad looks pretty spry and love the colour of the car... usually always dark colours...Not great for Florida weather!
Nice yo spent time with him too. With the car he'll be feeling younger all the time!
Nice mounting location for the 3rd brake light LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Just a quick update on the barn situation. I swept down and sprayed the end of the barn closest to the house. The only section I have left, is the center where the 14' garage door is.
I would have done that today, but I ran out of Borax. The wife said I stunk when I came in, I could just imagine. Once that's finished, I'll start moving things around to make a workable space again. I need lots of shelving units due to no storage space. I will eventually find some used kitichen cabinets and build a better work bench. I'm hoping to have Frankie back in the barn very soon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You might look for used pallet racking. It can, sometimes, be had cheap and use 1/2-3/4 plywood to place stuff on.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update 26: Electric Window/Door Lock Installation Conclusion
Update 27: Engine and Front Headlight Harness

I have completed installing the electric windows and door locks in the doors and have completed it all, except for installing the glass.
While waiting on getting things done around the house, I managed to purchase a used Front Headlight and engine wire harness.
I stripped all of the wrapping and proceeded in replacing any wiring that would not have been up to standard. I'm in the hunt for a resistor wire for the ignition.
The engine harness was modified for HEI and the original resistor was removed. So, if anyone has one laying around, I'll take it. Just PM me.
The headlight harness was done the same way. Replaced the bad wiring and terminals for good. I installed the harness into the body so I could get the position of the clips in the correct place and orienatation. The only one I have left is for the upper Alt. bracket and that'll have to wait until I get the engine installed. I am also going to do the headlight relay mod while the harness is still unwrapped.

Headlight harness hanging from the beam in the barn.
Wood Beam Floor Wall Flooring
Wood Gas Electrical wiring Electrical supply Engineering

Engine harness, Horn wiring, Cowl Hood wiring minus the Tan wire for the hood itself.

Metalworking hand tool Hand tool Electrical wiring Wood Pliers

After getting the harness repaired I took an old fuseblock and plug assembly removed all the wires and I'm using it to mock up the wiring.

Gas Audio equipment Machine Auto part Circle

Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Steering wheel Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Bumper

Lastly, I have had some good deals fall into my lap recently. I purchased a Husky tool box.

Cabinetry Drawer Wood Chest of drawers Table

I also got a pair of Husky shelving units for $100 ea at an auction last Sunday, I was the only bidder. They're a little dented and scratched, but they will serve me well until long after I'm gone. The shelving unit with the wood shelfs I got for $25. All 3 of these units are made by Edsal, even the Husky ones. Good quality Home shelving. The Husky shevles will hold up to 10,000 lbs. I'd like to get a few more units. I'm working a deal currently.

Wood Shelving Gas Engineering Machine

I'll post up pictures of the doors tomorrow.
Until next time.....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looks great, Chris !! You are far more ambitious than me with wiring.
1 question, do you plan to retain a points distributor ? If not, most, if not all, electronic triggers require a full 12 volts and installing the resistor would be "pointless"... LOL

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
I will be retaining the resistor wire if I can find one. I have installed the "Breakerless SE Ignition" from M&H in the dizzy. I have this in our Nova, and I put it in my S-I-L's '66 Caprice with no issues. It replaces the points and condensor in the dizzy. Everything else stays the same. This is why I need the resistor wire.

The wiring is a piece of cake. I like doing it, just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Huh, I had looked at that conversion many years ago, but went with Pertonix. Interesting that it works on the original resistance wire and down to 6 volts momentarily.
I have, what is left of, the wire harness from my '66 that was butchered by a PO. I'll see if it still has the ignition wire, but most of it under the hood was replaced with all the same color wire.
As a bonus, the barn looks much cleaner and brighter inside from all the cleaning !!

361 - 380 of 414 Posts