Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
341 - 360 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Be safe and watch the weather. It's been nasty in too many parts of the country this week.

Reactions: Jayhawk500

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 · (Edited)
We have made it to Ohio on Monday afternoon. :) The wife and I had to put down our 17 year old Rag Doll cat, Cooper on the way. That was bad. His ashes will be sent to us in a week or two. 🥲
Frankie was unloaded and put in a storage unit for the time being. The wife and I went and saw the house we're buying and we like what we saw. We're closing on the house today. Then it's a waiting game on taking possession as the owners have 30 days after closing.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well dang, very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet...:cry:
Good to read you made it safely, otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sad to hear about kitty... I know what that is like...
You did the right thing... they can't help themselves so we have to.
I am glad you and your wife are alright... al things considered.
The car is safe and dry and you tow are starting a new adventure!
Congrats on the safe Journey.
There will be time to Lament Chris.... Now is the time to look forward....

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
Good Morning everyone,
Life as a retired person so far is great! Just a quick update on life here in Ohio.
We finally moved into our new (to us) home last Saturday. I couldn't believe how much crap we hauled in the trailer, besides the car.
Anyway, It took 5 hours + to unload everything and I'm still not finished. The wife said we're selling the trailer and if you want a car hauler, then we get just that. Don't know about that one just yet. (a new car hauler, that is)
But, our current trailer will be going up for sale as soon as I get the beds back from the movers. Cooper, our 17 y/o Rag Doll cat that passed away will be shipped to us after he's been cremated. He is missed by us and the other two pets we have also. Our other Rag Doll cat Snow, has come out of her shell.
She's a joy to watch, she's deaf and such a spazzzzz.
Frankie is still sitting in the storage unit. He will come home as soon as the rain stops and its a decent day. I need to get him out of there before the first of the month. I don't want to pay another months rent.

Until next time...

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
Frankie came home today and is in his new home. The wife made the comment that she found a "Barn Find". Yep, that's a barn find.
Anyway, I'll start unpacking the car tomorrow and putting everything is some sort of order, so I will be able to start putting the car back together.
Unfortunately, the front end with be removed again to install the engine and transmission, but at a later date.
I also need to install the a/c system duct work on the firewall as well.
I need to get rid of all the lousy incandescent light bulbs in the barn and put in some LED 4' lighting assemblies, I don't do braille at all. The lighting is nowhere near what is required to be able to work on the car properly. Probably about 6-8 lights. Maybe more over time. But with limited income now, I can only do what I can with what I have.
Here's a few pictures of Frankie in his new home. The basketball loops will disappear since I don't do sports.
And just thinking about it...I may close in the hay mount. I have no use for the upper portion of the barn other than for storage. I will leave an access hatch.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Such a nice space for your stuff and your Car...s? Love it !!! OH BTW you are going to have to change your avatar to say OHIO! Well done Chris you two made the right move!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You certainly have enough space to work on the car now. Looks like you could rent out parking for half a dozen cars and MAKE money.
Not sure why you feel you need to remove the front end to install the engine/trans. I've done this dozens of times with the vehicle intact. You just need an equalizer on the hoist and 2 chains to get 4 corner balance.
Which trailer are you selling ? I thought you recently bought the large car hauler to move ?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 · (Edited)
Which trailer are you selling ? I thought you recently bought the large car hauler to move ?
I did and that's the one we're selling, now that we've moved. Why, You interested?
The wife don't like it. Its not designed for "camping". It's designed to spend the weekend at the track.
Besides, I can use the money elsewhere like a motor and trans and interior.

I've dropped motors in with the front end on also, I just dont want to ruin the bodywork Dave and I spent so much time on.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I haven't gone back on the thread to find it, but it's quite long, isn't It? I think I remember feeling it was going to be too much trailer for my Silverado 1500 and anytime I bring up a bigger truck with a diesel I'm told "you have the LAST truck you'll get"...:confused:
So the wife wants a hybrid Toy Hauler ? or just a camping trailer and to heck with hauling the car around ... :D
I hear ya on not wanting to mess up the paint. If you and Dave just installed the front clip "close" figuring to do final gap adjustment later, then nothing lost on that. Just need a LOT of painters tape on all the edges to protect them again during the process. Not having the fenders vulnerable while doing all the hook ups will be a plus too.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
I haven't gone back on the thread to find it, but it's quite long, isn't It? I think I remember feeling it was going to be too much trailer for my Silverado 1500 and anytime I bring up a bigger truck with a diesel I'm told "you have the LAST truck you'll get"...:confused:
So the wife wants a hybrid Toy Hauler ? or just a camping trailer and to heck with hauling the car around ... :D
I hear ya on not wanting to mess up the paint. If you and Dave just installed the front clip "close" figuring to do final gap adjustment later, then nothing lost on that. Just need a LOT of painters tape on all the edges to protect them again during the process. Not having the fenders vulnerable while doing all the hook ups will be a plus too.
Mitch, Sorry, There's no such thing as a hybrid toy hauler. And your 1500 wont stop or pull the trailer.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
OK, they have been around long enough to drop the hybrid designation from when they first appeared. It's now just a toy hauler that is convertible to living space. Not big enough for a car, but there are some really fancy car haulers with living quarters too. I may have been thinking hybrid travel/camping trailer too, which is still a model.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
OK, they have been around long enough to drop the hybrid designation from when they first appeared. It's now just a toy hauler that is convertible to living space. Not big enough for a car, but there are some really fancy car haulers with living quarters too. I may have been thinking hybrid travel/camping trailer too, which is still a model.
Okay, got it. Yeah, not designed for a car. More for 4-wheelers and such. Toys!

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 · (Edited)
70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update: 26 Electric Window/Door Lock Installation

While the Better Half sleeps in the morning due to her sleep apnea, I went out to the barn and started tinkering. I was able to install the firewall pad after ordering new rubber plugs from The Parts Place. The plastic crap that came with the pad, there was no way to install those. Then I moved on to the drivers door. I discovered there is a pattern to installing the guts. The You Tuber, does a great job with showing the process, but he wasn't dealing with electric door locks and windows.
The door lock solenoid and latch needs to go in first. Since I piece parted this together, I had to tweak the lock rod to keep it from binding. Then it was the door handle mechanism. This is a replacement part and the OE rod needed to be twisted to be able to line up correctly. I have to remove the gray primer from the latch mechanism, so all this is only temporary. I'm just trying to figure out the puzzle. The window regulator was next, Easy Peazy. Just have to hit the correct holes. The door lock rod will go in after I clean up the latch. Then the wiring, I had to come look at others posts recently to determine where the wires go, but I got it done. You will notice...I added a green wire to the door lock harness. This is going to be a ground between the body and the door. I don't want to rely on the ground going through the door hinges. The window hardware was last. Everything will be lubed before the water shield goes on. I will ops check everything before I button up this door. Need to ensure the grounds are good.

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Our "crap" was delivered last Monday. So I've been busy dealing with that. Our cars should be here today that we shipped, and that's a long sorted story. Supposed to receive a phone call from the driver, but haven't heard anything yet. Time to call him I guess.
EDIT The cars should be here on Thursday, Friday at the latest.
Then sadly, Frankie had to be moved to the 3 car garage. We found out that the barn is infested with Powder Post Beetles. We have the Orkin Inspector coming tomorrow for a quote and to figure out if the barn is even salvageable. The barn is the reason for buying this property. Don't get me started...We're looking at all avenues. We're not happy campers when it comes to this subject.

Until next time...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Damn shame about the barn. Even if it has some structural damage, it should be savable with reinforcement.

341 - 360 of 404 Posts