Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my gauges restored by a reputable person. After install I notice now that when starting the engine the temp gauge pegs to the 6ok position. The gauges were checked during overhaul and also the printed circuit was replaced with a high quality type. The Temp guage reads fine and is accurate when the engine is running. This pegging of the gauge only occurs during start with key turned in the start position. Is this normal? I dont think so. Is there anyone out there who can test this on their car and tell me if their temp gauge moves at all during cranking. It does this even if the wiring is disconnected from the sending unit???????

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Look on your ignition switch. Betting you will see 2 green wires tied together on the same terminal. The ignition switch grounds this terminal when the key goes from the RUN position to the START position. Purpose is ground the temp green sender wire for an idiot light car. It's the lamp test to make sure the light works.
Disconnect the 2 green wires from the ignition switch. Tie them together, solder, and sleeve them. Then they won't ground the meter when you start the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts