Team Chevelle banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to tell if my 70 SS originally had bucket or bench seats? Before I got it, the original seats were replaced with buckets from a Corvette. I'm curious if this car originally had a front bench or buckets.

I have (most of) the original build sheet. Is there something on there that would tell me? I don't see it in the options list. Maybe something in the upper section indicates the seat type?

Thanks!

- John...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I don't have boxes 43-46 on my build sheet (the left side was torn and missing when I got it from the previous owner).

I'll try to check for the Trim Tag info tonight.
Also -- I'd like to put "proper" buckets in soon. It looks like the buckets were the same for Chevelles from 1969-1972 -- is that correct? If I want to be fairly "proper", can I pretty much get any Chevelle buckets from those years?

Thanks!

- John...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 70Z15:
Yes, but the material patterns will be different. All 69-72 'A' body seats were basically the same. Chevelle, GTO, Cutlas, Skylark. Also Monte Carlo.
So, is the material pattern the same for the same year across cars? Or varies by year AND car? For example, if I found bucket seats in a 1970 GTO, should they match what would have originally been in my 1970 Chevelle? Or is that not the case?

Just in case I'm at a junkyard/salvage and come across some seats, I want to know what to look for to get the best match.

Then again, I'd likely have to reapolster them anyhow with a repro cover if I wanted them to look decent at all, so maybe this doesn't matter as much as I think and just finding the seats from a 1969-1972 'A' body would be enough...

- John...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Cars with buckets seats from the factory have brackets welded to the floor on each side of the transmission tunnel to bolt the inside tracks of the buckets to. A bench seat car just has the holes out by the door sill plate.
Roger

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone know of any place that sells complete bucket seats? I don't really want to put two together, there is too much other stuff I got to do on my car
and if anyone knewn where I could get an assembled pair I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts