Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what color would the original metal ridge have been under the inside of the windshield where the dash pad meets the glass-there is about a 3/4 inch ledge here that shows from the outside when looking in. should they all be black or the color of the body?

also, what color would the v.i.n. tag have been originally-black or the color of the body?

[This message has been edited by DAVID IN GA (edited 08-25-99).]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
The "ledge" should be painted the same color as your dash. In other words, to make it simple, what ever color the steering column is painted, is what color that area is paninted. That's how it is my '70, that's been in the family since new.

The vin # plate on the dash should be black. I don't know how to describe it, what shade, mine is kinda faded, but it should not be glossy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I disagree.The tag as well as the ledge should be the color of your interior and not the color of your steering column.My steering column is black,my interior is saddle.My car is unrestored and the vin and gap between the dash and windshield are tan or(saddle).SS cars had mostly black columns so that really isn't a good example.Is your car an SS?

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the ledge & vin plate were supposed to be the color of the body. my car was orginally forest green, but is now cranberry red. the green interior was chnaged to black. i have found various panels green on the back side. but, a previous owner has black book binding tape cover up the entire ledge-probably to cover the original green?
yes the car is an original ss.
the vin plate is now red.

sounds like it should have all been green?

any more replies?

[This message has been edited by DAVID IN GA (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
David,
The reason why your tag is green is because you had a green interior.If you had a black interior or saddle interior on a green 70 then it would be either black or saddle,not green like the color of the car.

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have both a 72 Chevelle and 72 MonteCarlo, and they are both the color of the dash pad.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Think about it - have you ever seen a white or yellow car with the ledge portion painted the body color? Its always painted the color of the dash pad, not necessarily the color of the interior (i.e., I've got white seats with a black dash pad).

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your right Rainer,I ment dash pad.

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is the deal! On a Malibu the dash pad the dash,the forward edge, the tag and the steering column are interior color UNLESS you have a white interior. If you have a white interior, all of the above are black. If you have a SuperSport, because the gauge panel is black regardless of the interior color, the steering column is also black. The dash pad, forward edge of panel, the tag, are all still interior color, unless interior color is white, in which case the above is again black.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 70 SS that is Champagne Gold , black vinyl top with saddle interior. The entire metal dash frame, including the visable stripe between the dash pad( dark saddle) and the windshield is black.
I would assume that this area was painted the same time the firewall and cowl area was and all are black.
I know it has not been modified.

------------------
Bill Taylor
Merrimack, NH
TC Gold Member #73

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 08-27-99).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.