Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it worth AS IS.. AND what's it worth showroom restored... I have numbers in my head but want to see what the Chevelle community thinks... If more pics are needed, I'll get some taken and uploaded

NO BUILD SHEET --- Original 1970 Chevelle SS 396 / TH400 Automatic w/Factory A/C car, bench seat (Antique Medium Saddle Coated Fabric), out of Van Nuys, CA (absolutely zero rust), Champagne Gold/Dark Gold Vinyl Top Color - I purchased the car in the early 90's in Las Vegas and it has been in my hobby shop ever since. I don't have the build sheet to the car, however everything you see is original. Suspension, rear end, dash, trim, tell me it's a true SS car without a doubt. Completely rust free as the car has always been out west and in a garage. Car also originally came with black stripes. All body panels are included and original. I have original SS wheels and bumpers (not pictured), in great condition. I also have the ORIGINAL cylinder heads (completely redone, ready for install) and all original engine accessories (valve covers, air filter assembly, a/c compressor, etc) also have an assembled engine block (not original block). Car is straight as an arrow. If I were to sell, would include a completely overhauled trans.. What do you think it's worth as-is and restored?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Do you have the original numbers matching engine? If yes then it would probably be worth a little more. If no then it will be considered by many as a non SS. It’s a project car. An SS could possibly put in mid teens. No SS proof then $10K-$12K.
If it’s a bench seat car why does it have a floor shifter?

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
No paperwork and no matching engine puts you in a hard spot to prove it’s an SS. It may be but many others make that claim also and they are not. Especially with a 70.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll check.. My dad took the gas tank off the car about 15 years ago and now we can't find it. I have feeling the build sheet was on the top of the tank considering it's a Van Nuys built car. I bought the car from the original owner in the mid 90's and he's still around, I'm gonna see if he has any additional documentation on the car. I'll also upload more pictures of all the original accessories etc. from the car.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Flip those buckets upside down and look real close between the seats springs.A lot of times the BS was folded and stuck in the seats.They're already off so it will be an easier search.Also inside the back seats springs.One last place is, some cars came with BS's stuck inside the front fenders.
You asked for est.'s as is and finished.
It's a 396 Chevelle which doesn't command the prices the 454 Chevelle's do but they're still sought after cars.It's a western car from a dry climate which means it doesn't have the rust problems an eastern car would have but the interiors & paint get dried out by the sun.
I think as is would be $8-10K and finished would be $35-40K being an A/C car with only 2 owners.
Or since you would be close to the auction sites try taking it to Mecam and let the market set the price but make sure you put a minimum bid on the car or someone will get a real bargain.

Reactions: BB68

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the feedback it’s truly appreciated. I could not see myself letting the car go for 10-12k as-is, nor do I need the money. I’m going to upload more pictures over the next few days with all of the original accessories the car came with AND do a thorough search for the build sheet and more documented history on the car. My brother and I are going to restore the car over the next few months and will be sure to document everything on this site. Thanks again for all of the input.

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback it’s truly appreciated. I could not see myself letting the car go for 10-12k as-is, nor do I need the money. I’m going to upload more pictures over the next few days with all of the original accessories the car came with AND do a thorough search for the build sheet and more documented history on the car. My brother and I are going to restore the car over the next few months and will be sure to document everything on this site. Thanks again for all of the input.
Unless you are really experienced with resto's and do everything yourself, you probably won't get into that $35k+ range "restored"... First, unrestored, its easy to see all the SS tell-tale signs (like you mentioned), but once its restored, no one will know if those things were added later... Figure the higher the cost the more skeptical buyers will be, and a nicely restored SS with no paperwork typically = clone dollars... Similar on the restoration, IF you do everything yourself, you can probably make money over the costs, but it might be hard to pass up the $10k-$12k by selling it now.

Unless you are good at body and paint, that's where you really might lose money. The higher the price, the more picking and discerning buyers will be...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
In my opinion that car is worth 15-17K all day long as it sits. Maybe more depending on what all it includes.

Reactions: Giuseppi Calantoni

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Well one thing a buyer can count on and that is missing parts. I hope the seller finds some SS documentation as to support the car going forward. Also found a range of values from $8K to $17K. Thats quite a swing. Someone thinks its worth double what another thinks its worth.
One thing for sure. If bought at the upper end it would be extremely hard to avoid being upside down if restoring this car. The value on a freshly restored automatic/ 396 car is roughly $50K and thats one with documents in a good market.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, we have done frame-off restorations on quite a number of cars over the years. Recently completed a 67 GTO ( www.lasvegastransmissionco.com/projects ) - We own a transmission shop in Las Vegas and have a separate hobby shop for working on our project and drag cars, just have never gotten around to the 70. Won't cost much as the sheet metal is absolutely prestine top to bottom and I have just about everything to complete the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Based on the photos and the description as rust free, I'd say $15,000 - 20,000 as it sits. I'd love to find a car in similar condition for under $15,000. Most of what I see in a 300 mile radius from my home are rust buckets or cars with no motor or trans for $15,000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on the photos and the description as rust free, I'd say $15,000 - 20,000 as it sits. I'd love to find a car in similar condition for under $15,000. Most of what I see in a 300 mile radius from my home are rust buckets or cars with no motor or trans for $15,000.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd agree with you and have also had a number of people recently offer me closer to $20k as-is with everything I have included. Honestly, we've owned the car for so long and really want to see it fully restored so that's what we're going to do. If I sell it as-is, I know we'll regret it as the car has meaning to us..

FYI - The code on the rear end is CCW 10066B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts