Team Chevelle banner

70 Chevelle LT4 & 4L85e Swap SS Z06

57K views 129 replies 16 participants last post by  Redmanf1 
#1 ·
I'm going to be swapping out my motor for a LT4 Crate motor and a 4L85e transmission in a 1970 Chevelle.

I've been researching for some time now swapping out the trans and motor. I decided on a GM Crate LT4 and a Jakes Performance 4L85E trans.

I feel I have most of the battles figured out and I placed my order today with Schwartz Performance.

The car currently has a 540cu 716HP/702tq that was designed by Chris Straub at Straub Technologies.

The transmission is a TKO-600 with a Mcleod RST clutch. I've had fun with the 540 and wanted to now try this supercharged small block.

The engine is on order along with the controller and some other small engine parts. The engine mounts are from Dirty Dingo and I'm gonna use the fully adjustable setup they offer.

The transmission is from Jakes Performance and I'll use a US Shift controller and a GeForce cross member. I'll get a local shop here to redo my drive shaft when I get that far along.

The cooling challenge was fun to create. There are no less than 5 radiators up front. I call it my radiator sandwich. My solution is from AutoradRadiators. I'm going with a new core support, dual 14 inch fans in a shroud, the trans cooler will be internal to the coolant radiator. The next radiator is the oil cooler and then, AC condensor and then finally the intercooler. Now thats a radiator sandwich. The good news is they can build it all as a nice well thought out purpose built unit. They take 2 months but the trans wont be done for 2 months so I've got plenty of time.

The oil pan was going to be a challenge and I think that Moroso took care of that for me with the release of a new pan just for this use case. Oddlt its on production hold for a MFG defect issue that the guy there at Moroso said will be taken care of in a week or two. That leaves me plenty of time as I still need to pull the 540 out.

One of the final swaps on the car will be the use of the almost factory looking gauges with the small TFT screens. Ill use the factory bezel and tie the gauge package into the GM ECM using the Dakota BIM module.

GAME ON! the parts are on the way and lets see how smooth this goes. Ill pull the 540 here soon and list it for sale.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds awesome and well thought out. Of course there are always going to be "gotchas" when you get into the project, but at least you have thought through a bunch of the things. Can't wait to watch this unfold. And everyone will be interested in your feedback on the driving difference of the two motors.

#4 ·
Ultimately I will be doing the same build into two cars. The Chevelle gets the swap first, the Camaro arrives in a week. I feel like its Christmas time and the parts truck cant get here fast enough. Ive has some great help and continue to still get the support from folks on the forums as well as David from Super Dave's Classic Car ? info and upgrades who has done a very similar build in his 1st Gen Camaro. Dave has a fantastic writeup on his swap and he has helped my learning curve a lot.

I have a challenge that I wont really address until the motor and trans is in the car. The trans cooler is in the radiator and the radiator is a LS style where both the coolant inlet and outlet are on the passenger side. This leaves the trans connections on the drivers side where they are not typically. I'm sure I can fabricare some nice lines using AN fittings to address this.

Once the engine arrives and the front drive assembly from Pace get here I will need to get the engine up on a stand and start installing the new pump, brackets and pulleys.

The Pace setup uses a different water pump and I'll need to swap it out. Also the factory pan needs to come off and in favor of the Moroso pan. I need to see if the Moroso pan has the fittings I need to connect hoses to the oil cooler, if not then I will get them welded on.

#5 ·
On the subject of headers I can either use whats on the motor now and or replace them. I've been looking into replacing them and I wanted to reach out to Dan at Lemon Headers. I've hada great experience with them and the set on the 540 now. Dan said he currently isn't making them. I know I have the option of using Ultimate Headers, they said they will make them. I want to call them next week and ensure that they wont hang low like Hookers or Doug's. Besides having the best ground clearance the Lemons are amazing quality. I gained over an 1" of ground clearance from both the Doug's and Hookers using the Lemon's.

#6 ·
I've been asked to share out of some of the specifics are the parts and suppliers so far

LT4 Crate Motor part number 19332621 http://www.schwartzperformance.com/...te-engine-6-2l-650hp-wet-sump-gen-5-19332621/
LT4 Engine controller part number 19331517 http://www.schwartzperformance.com/...e-controller-kit-ecm-wiring-harness-19331517/
LT4 Drive system (this is made by Pace performance) I bought it from Swartz as well http://www.schwartzperformance.com/...ive-system-billet-wet-sump-supercharged-6-2l/
Dirty Dingo motor mounts Dingo Glider Gen V LT Adjustable Conversion Swap Mounts
Fuel Tank is from Ricks Hot Rods (I had the upgraded fuel pump installed) RestoMod Fuel Tanks - Rick's Tanks
4L80e Transmission 4L80E ? Jake?s Performance
Radiator is from AutoRadRadiators products

#8 ·
#10 ·
There are subtle differences between the LS and LT blocks where the engines mounts attach. Using simple adapter plates that mount to stock frame stands is a recipe for disaster when it comes to obtaining proper driveline angles. The LS swaps with adapter plates was bad. The LT is worse.

Since no properly engineered kit exists, I would seriously consider making your own mounts that position the engine as low as possible in the front crossmember.

Andrew

#16 ·
Very nice! Crazy how expensive everything gets! I am doing an LT4 swap right now on my 71 Vette but currently keeping it somewhat under wraps until I get it complete. I ended up buying both a dry sump and wet sump motor trying to get them to fit. I really wanted the dry sump to work but ultimately just could not get the pulley system to work with the smaller engine bay of a C3 corvette. Even with the wet sump, it will require the LS water pump modification to make it all fit with ample room.

I'll be keeping my eyes on your thread for any useful tips!

#17 ·
Thank you and good to hear from you. You helped me quite a bit on the efi I'm glad and hopeful I can help you. At the moment I'm going to use the pace performance front drive setup. It looks tight and compact as well as having all the accessories incl ps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#21 ·
Great looking build and information. I just ordered my LT4 for my 70 Chevelle project. Your "radiator sandwich" was a big help! I'm curious about the engine mounts. That seems to be my sticking point right now. I'll be swapping the Eaton SC for a Procharger set up. Please continue to post on this thread!

#22 ·
The plan right now is to use the Dirty Dingo mounts. This model is the fully adjustable version and to my understanding there shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure there will be some snags here and there as we go along. The parts are still coming slowly. I'm going to start tearing into the car here in a few weeks. The trans is due in 4 weeks, the radiator sandwich is about 7 weeks. The

I'll keep the pics coming and the commentary rolling.

#23 ·
I was going to mention Dirty Dingo. I was just on their site ordering up my adjustable mounts for the LS swap and saw they had the LTx mounts listed.

I so wanted to go with this swap but didn't trust the hood to SC clearance. I hope to see many more coming our way in the future! I don't know if I would call it easy, but a nice way to get 650 hp into these cars.

#25 ·
We are getting close to starting the build. I have my UPS tracking number for the Ultimate Headers I had built. The trans shop said that the trans is in testing and will be shipped next week. This is all great news as I can start the year down here real soon. I'll post pictures of the new parts when they arrive and update you as I begin tear down. I posted the 540 for sale in the appropriate section with details for those interested. I will have it out of the car by mid month.

#30 ·
I've added the new gauges but there is a gap between the housing and the dash bezel I don't like. The gap is where the clear lens sat and it filled that gap. With the Dakota setup I don't use that lens. I'll send down the stand and close up that gap.

I also did get the new electronic throttle pedal installed and some custom brackets made for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.