Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read many posts from people who's chevelles lean on the drivers side, but mine leans on the passenger side. A lot. See pics below. I've replaced the front suspension and the rear shocks. Might as well do the springs, but it has been like this since i got the car in 2006 when the springs and rear were recently done. It had air shocks, though, so it was less pronounced when full of air. Replaced the air shocks because they leaked. If relevant, the rear appears to be from a '65 GTO, casting #9779822.
Any recommendations? For the low cost, it's worth replacing the rear springs, but I feel like I'll probably still have the lean. Nothing else has worked. Additionally, it wears out the right front tire on the outer edge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've read many posts from people who's chevelles lean on the drivers side, but mine leans on the passenger side. A lot. See pics below. I've replaced the front suspension and the rear shocks. Might as well do the springs, but it has been like this since i got the car in 2006 when the springs and rear were recently done. It had air shocks, though, so it was less pronounced when full of air. Replaced the air shocks because they leaked. If relevant, the rear appears to be from a '65 GTO, casting #9779822.
Any recommendations? For the low cost, it's worth replacing the rear springs, but I feel like I'll probably still have the lean. Nothing else has worked. Additionally, it wears out the right front tire on the outer edge.

Thanks!
Mine leans to the right as well, so I figure when my large self gets in, it levels out a bit. I plan on swapping rear springs side to side to see if it changes anything. Assuming I don't see something wrong with them after I pull them. If nothing happens, then maybe I'll look at fronts.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine leans to the right as well, so I figure when my large self gets in, it levels out a bit. I plan on swapping rear springs side to side to see if it changes anything. Assuming I don't see something wrong with them after I pull them. If nothing happens, then maybe I'll look at fronts.
I like that idea. I should try that before buying new ones.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,376 Posts
:cool: I agree with Don: that situation is possibly a lot more then just a little wrong. Get under there and check out the springs -- both sides.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swapped them last night. The problem didn't switch sides, but improved. Probably 1.5 inch difference now, as opposed to 4+.
But the springs looked pretty much the same when off the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 72 was leaning real bad to the right as well . I just replace the rear shocks and springs and added a sway bar and it really helped with the lean even on the front . Now it just leans a little in the front on the right I'm hopeful that when I redo the front suspension it we be cured .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also am I wrong in thinking that when on the gas the car transfers weight to the right rear the most ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a hard lean on the Drivers Side on my 1966 Chevelle.
Prior to replacing the rear springs, previous owner had spacers on one spring and clamps on the other.
When I installed the new springs is when I discovered the "Lean".
Instead of putting clamps and spacers on the new springs I opted to go with adjustable coil overs instead.
I have heard some Chevelle owners mention that some Chevelle's lean may be due to the fact that the spring perches may have been welded to the axle housing incorrectly from the factory.
Although the coil overs do not utilize the spring perches, I still needed to adjust the drivers side way more than the passenger side, so who knows...

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like it's just one of those things that doesn't have an across the board solution, but just need to find the necessary adjustments, case by case. I thought about coil overs, but felt my springs were fine. I believed the air shocks to be the issue, knowing they leaked. But I think I can deal with the 1.5 inch lean. It's a lot better than it was.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Weak front drivers side could be the culprit, have someone lift up drivers side front bumper while you stand in the back and watch. (you could do this with one hand only) Look at the rear of the car, not just the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Mate's 67 GTO leaned on one side. Swapped springs, shocks etc, no difference. He fitted a spacer under one of the springs to fix the problem. Most likely cause was a twisted frame from previous collision damage.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I have a lean in mine as well. I have adjustable upper rear control arms. Was wondering if they were not adjusted equally could that cause a lean?

·
Registered
101 Posts
That would be my assumption. Good luck on the front.
Thank you !! I am taking things one step at a time as I'm just blue collar dad and can only blow so much cash at a time before mamma gets in my arse .lol. I wish I could do coil overs and all that but a solid rebuild new shocks and a slightly larger sway bar should make a dramatic difference . Ill probably sneak a JGC steering box in there as well ..ssshhh dont tell mamma . Good luck to you too let us know if you figure out a cure .

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mate's 67 GTO leaned on one side. Swapped springs, shocks etc, no difference. He fitted a spacer under one of the springs to fix the problem. Most likely cause was a twisted frame from previous collision damage.
Anything is possible with a 50 year old car. To me, it's really odd swapping springs didn't cause the problem to switch sides, yet improved the lean on the right side. I've got to inspect more of the components in greater detail but I think I'll avoid spending too much more time on it since it is so much closer to normal now.

Weak front drivers side could be the culprit, have someone lift up drivers side front bumper while you stand in the back and watch. (you could do this with one hand only) Look at the rear of the car, not just the passenger side.
I did the entire front suspension last year. It needed it, but I was hoping it would fix the lean. No such luck.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I noticed mine leaning about 3/4 inch I had a upper control arm bushing (poly)on the rearend missing. And a lower control arm on the opposite side (delrin bushing) has 1/4 inch of wobble. Replaced it all with spherical bearings it’s level now.
If all your bushings are good and control arms aren’t bent loosen up the rear suspension bolts then retorque them with full weight that may help. I think that’s what ultimately leveled mine.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I definitely need to replace bushings. They're in rough shape. I replaced the springs and it sits exactly the same as before. They were 2 inches taller than the old springs, prior to installation, but made no difference. And it still leans. I'll do the bushings next year, but I think I'll put spacers in to level it out since it's it's a bit less effort. I hate how low the rear sits. If I knew this last year when I did the front suspension, I would have lowered the front. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts