Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm trying to take the forward lamp and engine harnesses out of my 70 SS 396. How is this done? It looks like once you take the center screw out, the front harness should pull right out. Is this how it's done? For some reason it's just not coming apart and I don't want to destroy anything.

Also the engine harness looks to be part of the fuse block. Do I have to pull the fuse block to get this out? Maybe I'm missing something but I just can't get it all apart........any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes, taking out the single bolt holding the harness ends should allow separation. However they can hold on tightly, if they won't come off by moving the, up-down/back-forth, in the limited space you have. Assuming you haven't already done so. You can remove the two screws holding the fuse block, pull the fuse block and the under hood harness ends inside the car. Use tools of your choice to separate the bulk head connectors.

The fuse block and the dash harness bulk head connector are held together as a single assembly. Both the forward lamp harness and the engine harness will separate from it.

I probably don't need to say this, the battery should be disconnected.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elree,

Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it!!

I was able to get the fuse block apart. It was just stuck after 34 years of being a complete unit and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry and break any original parts on the car.

Thanks again and have a great day!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elree,

By the way, nice El Camino!! I like how it sits!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts