Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just junked out a totally rusted, ragged '70 Chevelle bench seat (thanks Derek) and found the build sheet in the driver's back rest. Managed to pull most of it out of there in one piece. I know next to nothing about build sheets, and am wondering, where do they show the engine that would have come with the car? I found other info and options spelled out, like 3 spd CBC trans and 273 axle ratio, but don't know where to look for engine code. Not a very good pic, best I could do with my phone.

BTW, the car was sold new at Harold Chevrolet in Bloomington, MN. Body # BK706156. VIN 166528. Cranberry Red with black interior. Long shot, but maybe someone around here still has the car?

I'll GIVE the build sheet to anyone interested.

Attachments

Reactions: RAMBO

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Its not easy to get inside a bench seat upper cushion (or bucket seat upper cushion for that matter) to stick one of these in...

I've always been curious to know at what point during the whole process the seats themselves were being assembled.

With these sheets inside fully assembed seats (not just jammed into the accessible springs on the bottoms... It leads me to believe the seats were not covered until that particular guy had a build sheet in hand to build the seat for a specific car?

I always imagined the seats were assembled off site (or at least off the main line anyway) and they had them piled up ready to select as the lines queue was lined up. rather like engines that required offsite assembly, and could be different for each car going down the line.

Maybe that wasn't true and they had people assembling seats for specific cars as they went down the line?

Ive seen modern pictures (80's & 90's) of the sewing rooms where the covers are made for GM cars... but thats still not assembly of the seats.

Sorry for hijacking... just thinking out loud :D

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
With no optional engine, and a V8 VIN, it was a 307 car.

Full VIN 136370K166528

Reactions: Steve R

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not easy to get inside a bench seat upper cushion (or bucket seat upper cushion for that matter) to stick one of these in...

With these sheets inside fully assembed seats (not just jammed into the accessible springs on the bottoms... It leads me to believe the seats were not covered until that particular guy had a build sheet in hand
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Interesting. Being in the classic auto upholstery biz, I'd like to see pics of those sewing rooms.

With no optional engine, and a V8 VIN, it was a 307 car.

Full VIN 136370K166528
Thanks Dave. So....IF a car had an optional engine, 350 or larger, that would be printed separately along with other options like the 3 spd trans and 273 axle ratio in this car? Seems I've seen that on other build sheets.

In hindsight, I should have kept build sheets (and window stickers) from all the cars I bought new in the 60's and 70's......:clonk:

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Correct. 350 2 and 4 barrel engines, LS3 396, etc.. would all be called out on the build sheet.

Reactions: augy

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts