Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 70 ss and in the trunk is a complete bumper jack, but the mast on this one is different from the others I've have. It is not hollow but solid and shaped like a Y, also its silver and not gold cad like the others, could their have been 2 types of mast used for 70 on bumper jacks?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that design.Could you post a picture?All 70 masts are hollow that I have seen.Does the bumper bracket say 1970 Chevelle ex wagon ect.?

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My 2000 Z28

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes there were two types available.One was a tube or hollow.The other is a T-design and in the mast stand or Y-as you described.
Probably two manufactures or design change for cost reasons.
They have been found in all types of cars at all the plants during different intervals.
Most T-jacks are found in earlier built Chevelles,but there are some survivors in 71 that have them too.
Look for a light date stamping usually found where the mast sits into the stand.Sometimes they were not date stamped at all.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

[This message has been edited by mr70 (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
RICK IS RIGHT.
Depending on the vendor that Chev (or GM divisions) bought their jacks from, there could be 2 different types of masts/bases. Either is correct.
It is also possible that the 2 different styles are related to the part of the country where they were assembled. That would be a good project to research, but not for me.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
I'm in the preocess of redoing my jack - it's original to the car, it is the solid t-type.

The car is Jan built and from Arlington.

I'll have to look for that little date code.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
My 70 was built in Baltimore. It has the T type mast.
My 72 wagon was built in Arlington and it had the hollow type.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.