Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 Chevelle was originally equipped with an AM radio. When I bought it, the radio and speaker were missing. I'm going to install the factory set up, but there is no apparent wiring behind the dash for the radio. The wiring harness has no evidence of cut wires. Does the radio harness tie in to the main dash harness, or does it have it's own separate connection to the fuse box ? I'm assuming that the speaker harness involves a connnection from the back of the radio directly to the speaker. The original antenna lead is still present.

Can anyone give me an idea what I need to wire this thing up, I'm a dummy when it comes to electrical.

[This message has been edited by Steve A (edited 12-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steve A (edited 12-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Steve

The radio connection is part of the dash harness. It is a three wire plug with a yellow wire (power from radio fuse in the fuse block) a gray wire (radio face light connected to the inst. cluster lighting) and a black wire (ground) It should be near the radio. The radio harness would be determined by the radio option installed and the speaker configuration. In your case if you don’t have A/C it will be one speaker in the center of the dash. It could also have a fader control with a rear speaker or with A/C it would have two front speakers. Each configuration would use a different radio harness. M&H can probably supply the correct radio harness

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I took a look at the harness and found the wires that you mentioned. It looks like I'm missing the wiring from the radio to the connector at the ends of these wires. Ill try M&H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts