Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Depends on which radio you go with and speaker arrangment.Believe there is a seperate harnees for each type of radio.I believe am/fm mono uses same connector with possible wire rearangment.If use front and rear speaker there is a fader swicth connection. Not sure of am/fm stereo.Do know that am/fm 8 Track is definently all together different...... Jim.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I found an FM converter at a flea market last summer. It plugs into your antenna plug; you plug your antenna into it. Add 12 volts of DC and put your radio on 1400 am. You change FM stations on the converter box. About the size of two packs of Lucky Strike. Works great. At least it is period correct. Maybe not GM correct. If you go looking for an honest to goodness AM/FM, there are lots, refurbished, even NOS, etc., but I refused to pay the price.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I had a factory AM/FM radio in my 72 Pontiac Lemans, so I think they were made in 70 also, you might check ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Here's the scoop guys,

It all depends on what you want If you want to keep the factory mono speaker arrangements, you must find an AM/FM MONO radio. There where (2) choices in the 1970 model year as far as AM/FM-pushbutton radios go, AM/FM mono, and AM/FM-stereo. The stereo radio uses a stereo harness--this is the same harness used on all 1970-1972 stereo sound systems, which include, the am/fm/8-track radio, and the am/8-track radio. The stereo harness is very different from it's mono counterpart. There are additional pins at the mating plug that connects to the radio as well as extra leads that feed the front speakers and the rear speakers.

Let's say you have a single-speaker (dash mounted) AM-radio. If you find an AM/FM-mono radio, it will be a direct plug-'n-play connection as these units use the same harness configuration from 1970-1972. (Please remember the color schemes are not the same from 1970-1972! on the dials). If you want a fader (and don't currently have one) that's another issue. You then need the intemediate fader harness to interconnect between the am/fm mono radio and the speaker/power supply harness.

As always my site:

RADIO TECH

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts