Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some suppliers are now offering this reproduction piece (around $300). I'm considering getting one but am wondering if all 70-72 Chevelle dash assemblies were mfg. the same. I have a 70 SS Chevelle with the gauge package and the AM/FM mono radio. Should a stock 70-72 dash assembly look the same regardless of the type of stock radio you ordered? Want to make sure of the fit before I spend $300. The suppliers that offer this piece don't seem to know the answers for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Ohhawk the dash mounting is the same for 70-72. You can bolt up a 72 dash in your 70 with no problem. The only diff between the 70 and 72 is that the 72 has a seatbeat warning light near the cig lighter.

Now for that repop dash Ive never used or seen one. But from Ive heard they dont fit all that great and need the old metal frame from your old dash because it doesnt include the frame. Ohhawk on your car I wouldnt use the repop, that LS5 deserves better, so I would send out your old one to get rebuilt. That repop costs what 300 bucks and for another 150 you can know that the dash will fit and look so much better.

I looked for that number for the guy in Des Moines with the radios but couldnt find it. I will look for that number for northstar bumper when I get to work on monday...Eric

------------------
1970 chevelle
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a buick baby
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sevt_chevelles

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else have actual experience with this repro dash assembly?

Who are sources for restoring current dash assembly? My main need is the area for the radio. I assume that the aftermarket radio hole is larger than the one I will need for the stock AM/FM mono radio that I am planning to put back in. The rest of the assembly is probably good.....not that it couldn't use new paint for both the black as well as silver trim but.........I'm running out of time for sending pieces out for any length of time as the restoration progresses.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts