Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 71 SS dash (warning Light) wiring harness work with a 70 SS warning lights clusters? When going from a sweep dash to an SS warning light dash, do I need to switch the engine harness??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Going through the old posts, I see this one unanswered. Ill take a stab at it.

1: The instrument clusters will swap over regardless of year for the same type cluster. (70-72)

2: I can't say for sure on your second part of the question. You may find that a few wires are not there.

The wiring harness from a 70 is different from 71, and 72. I think all three dash configurations take different harnesses. If you plan on changing the under dash harness, plan on either changing the engine side also, or running wires as a patch for the missing wires.

You could take a 70 dash, and engine harness, and install it in a 72, and it would work.

Jason

·
Registered
166 Posts
Comparing the engine harnesses in my 70 SS (with guages) and dad's 71 Wagon (sweep dash), it looks like they are the same, with the exception that the 70 doesn't have the Idle Stop solenoid wiring. However, I imagine that the oil pressure and temperature senders are different. For the sweep dash, the sending units would be simple switches, either on or off. With a guage package, they are variable resistors, so the current flowing through them changes as temperature or pressure changes. A sweep dash harness will not interchange with a gauge dash harness.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: drive.to/chevelle
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is it possible to use a 70 SS warning light dash with a 71 SS warning light dash wiring harness? Would the 70-71 combo work with a 70 sweep dash ENGINE harness?

·
Registered
191 Posts
1Quik7D:

The instrument cluster wiring can be modified to work with any situation.

The difference in 70, to 71-72 is more than just the dash. It is the ignition, and other various controls. I learned this the hard way. I tried to put a 70 Dash harness in my 72, and got no lights, or much of anything. I got one from a 71, and now it works. It didn't hurt anything, it just didn't work.

So now I have a complete, uncut 70 SS gauge type under dash wiring harness out of an El-Camino that I can't use. (can you say, For Sale!
)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are changing from a sweep dash to an SS dash you can do this if you get the wiring diagram for the car. The wires are color coded and pretty easy to sort out if you spend the time and mark the harness correctly. I did this on a 71 and used a dash connector from a 78 boneyard Camaro, spliced my harness to it per my layout, plugged it into the SS dash.....majic! It works. You could always save yourself the headache and just buy the new harness for the application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how much for the 70 ss harness ihave a 70 chevelle that just put a 72 harness in today and got the same problem that you ran into so could use the 70 harness in my 70 chevelle my has the lite not gauges email is [email protected] and # is 828-696-3190 cell 828-243-6543 stacy thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.