Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting new trim on a new 69ss Grill. I am having trouble trying to attach the center trim strip to the grill. I cannot find a nut that will fit into the channel in the back of the grill to tighten the trim. The trim cam with the standard fastener studs but without nuts. Please do not ask what was used to fasten the trim on the old grill, you would not believe me if I told you. Please help.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
Mine ('69 SS) is attached with small thread cutting nuts. These are the stamped sheet metal nuts that are round on the tightening surface and can be a real pain to install when new. von

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you bought a new grill it is more than likely a 300 Deluxe grill. That is the only one that GM makes. Compare the center bar height with the old one. It is probably higher than the old one. That grill wasn't designed for a center chrome strip, just silver painted. Ted williams offers a center chrome that uses plastic push in buttons simmilar to door trim attaching buttons. It doesn't use anything on the back. I used this setup on my malibu and it worked fine.The center chrome is a little higher than it is supposed to be, but only I can tell

·
Registered
151 Posts
Had the same problem on replaceing my 69 SS grill. The vender didn't tell me it was a 300 grill. I drilled it, couldn't get nut on it, and the oringal SS chrome didn't fit anyway. I took it back to the vender and got my money back. Found a super clean used SS grill with all the chrome and SS enblem on it for $100.You just have to keep looking.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tom
Does your grille have molded oval holes in the center rib or does it have drilled holes?
Oval Molded Holes
This is an SS or Malibu grille. Original nut was a #6 stamped PAL nut. Auto parts store should be able to supply.
Drilled or Round Holes
This is a 300 grille which is currently available from many suppliers. Rib is too narrow to accept a nut. Repro trim strip supplier suggests using plastic clips like those used to attach hood seal to top of cowl. This grille will not look right on the car, trim strip is too far forward and will overhange headlamp trim.
I have this problem. I'm going to try cutting out the center rib and grafting in the center rib from a junk SS or Malibu grille. I will post results when I get to it.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

Babe Haehnle (NOS dealer) at 517-789-6400 claims to have an NOS SS grille for sale. Originally quoted $300. Last time I checked, he was up to $400.

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 02-20-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.